Help me BORK! my install

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
zephyr
Troll

Help me BORK! my install

Unread post by zephyr » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Hello Folks: Zephyr here, refugee from #!, not really-use with it sid still. Got a question if someone can help or just tell me i'm broken or snafued. I got a good install, but on boot up, i am prompted for a user and passwd, so i use "root" & "root" for passwd, then I changed to my own root passwd. then i'm still prompted for another entry. I am relatively new to Linux and although i do have siduction, aptosid, #! and vsido on my pc, not familiar with what i'm encountering. i'm a distro-hopper, but two empty drives. Just want to get to the desktop. Appreciate the help-zephyr

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Re: OPENBOX: BORK! Release Notes

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Quoting over page break:
zephyr wrote:Hello Folks: Zephyr here, refugee from #!, not really-use with it sid still. Got a question if someone can help or just tell me i'm broken or snafued. I got a good install, but on boot up, i am prompted for a user and passwd, so i use "root" & "root" for passwd, then I changed to my own root passwd. then i'm still prompted for another entry. I am relatively new to Linux and although i do have siduction, aptosid, #! and visudo on my pc, not familiar with what i'm encountering. i'm a distro-hopper, but two empty drives. Just want to get to the desktop. Appreciate the help-zephyr
First off, support questions goes here:
Support Section

You should have setup a user instead of logging in with root if you're asking about init-ing X, but assuming you'd like to ignore my advice and roll face-first into running as root, use "startx" to initialize xserver (der desktop!).

At least I take it that this is what you mean by "prompted for another entry". Specifics keep me from giving you a bunch of bullshit useless advice, so if this doesn't help, then please provide useful info like what prompt you're seeing: bash, some sub-prompt during changing passwd, etc.

Also worth mentioning, Bacon normally uses "bbq:bbq" for a live user, if you need that. If you need advice on setting up a new user, there are numerous examples for adduser or useradd on the internet.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Zephry - You might want to make a bit of an introduction thread, also.
If you wish: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewforum.php?f=7

It does ask you to verify password when you change using passwd - but you knew that - right?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:40 pm

if you do it like bacon said in the first post here, it should work:
BORK! The name says it all. You are not afraid of sid/experimental? GTK3 is on your blacklist? You don't need no systemd? Your computer is from the last decade, has a RAM size of three digits and a CPU that powers a solar calculator? You give a flying fuck about GPT and UEFI, just want to give your smelly Pentium a new home? You promise not to use btrfs and lvm? To update, upgrade and install packages you use the excellent 'apt' command? You believe in beards, sandals, marijuana and/or clicky keyboards? You like process trees that don't need a scroll wheel to display all their beauty? You know that 'sudo bbqinstall' or 'sudo bbqinstaller' will put the live system onto a prepared partition? You remember that the passwords for the live session are 'bbq' and 'root'? You have heard of the mighty 'adduser' wrapper? You absolutely want to change to root password after installation because 'root' is simply not safe enough?
so, as soon as the thing is installed and you get a command line, do

Code: Select all

passwd root
to change the root password. then add your own user.

adduser zephry
(i think, or is it just adduser? cant check, not on linux, try it)

now log out of the root user ('exit'), log into your new user. then to start the desktop, indeed as noted above, 'startx'
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: Help me BORK! my install

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:07 pm

^ even easier than that, as you say adduser <user> - 'exit' then log in and it goes straight to X.
root doesn't go auto to X. for the extremely useful reason - if you bork you X GFX (as I did ) you can pick up the pieces using root.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:51 am

^ aah, that is on a default bork i suppose? suddenly realize it doesnt do that for me and it probably has something to do with me installing i3 and not setting up some type of autostart. oh well.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:40 pm

I always et a kick out if this. Dude comes here, opens a thread to ask for help, and the entire thread consists of us talking to each other with no sign of the OP again.

Work hard; Complain less

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:19 pm

^ I know I try to refrain, we really try to help, and yes end up chatting again :)

user comes back a week later: "Oh never mind - I installed OpenSUSE instead, because I like green, and aren't lizards cool?"

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:26 pm

rhowaldt wrote:^ aah, that is on a default bork i suppose? suddenly realize it doesnt do that for me and it probably has something to do with me installing i3 and not setting up some type of autostart. oh well.
yeah - default setting, for a fresh user, is right into OB.
No idea what you've done... :P

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:41 pm

wuxmedia wrote:
rhowaldt wrote:yeah - default setting, for a fresh user, is right into OB.
No idea what you've done... :P
roald, did you edit (or replace) ~/.bash_profile? That's where X is autostarted.

Note that the BORK bash_profile only autostarts X on tty1, so if you log in on any other tty, X is not autostarted (this is useful if you mess up your graphics or just want to switch to a console while you are in X).

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:08 pm

^ And that is why this is a sweet install, the little touches that count, not - what colour shall the GTK highlight be, or what the logo looks like.
I think debian managed a good 6 years without a logo at all...
dammit - .bash_profile, forgot to look in there :(

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:27 pm

wuxmedia wrote:^ And that is why this is a sweet install, the little touches that count
I'm not sure if you were implying that this is a new feature in BORK, but several bbq spins have this or a similar feature -- Popcorn only autostarts X on tty1, and Cream, Zijwaarts, and Haggis only start the ncurses session chooser on tty1. Both methods allow normal login on any other tty. I'm sure there are other examples, but those are the only ones I have handy to test. And I also understand what you are saying about what we think is important vs. some other distros.

Wow, this has gone way off topic from the OP. Sorry.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:06 pm

^ I may have noticed it in others, BORK is a new install to me (after Arrogance and only playing with a few spins), so I suppose it seems like a new feature.

The offtopic is another reason we are here isn't it?

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:36 pm

@pids: i havent changed it that i know of. but i dont quite get why it isnt autostarting when bash_profile seems to instruct it to do so...

[12:34:59]$ cat .bash_profile
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

. "$HOME/.bashrc"

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $TERM = "linux" && `tty` = "/dev/tty1" ]] && exec startx
indeed, dunno what i did :D

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:33 pm

does your TERM=linux? does your TTY='/dev/tty'
Isn't there a song with those sort of lyrics?

...oh yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Juje0kK5Q

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:26 pm

The normal log in sequence is as follows:

- for root, the password is 'root' and it drops into a normal shell. This is because /root has no .bash_profile or .profile that handles anything like that.
- for normal users, the login is reading .bash_profile, and also .profile anbd .bash_profile, see man bash > Invocation. In past releases, where more than 1 WM was provided (or tmux and framebuffer sessions), we added a session chooser called 'bbqlogin'. This was started instead of startx in ~/.bash_profile. In single-WM releases the session chooser was replaced with startx.
- a fully automatic login without user input can be achieved by editing /etc/inittab (not in systemd!)

rho, you can replace the last line as follows:

exec startx
and see if it brings you to X. If not, remove ~/.profile and ~/.bash_login, if existing. If still not worky, well - call us :)

Btw, this is only valid if echo $SHELL is /bin/bash, and not some other login shell.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:34 pm

thanks guys, will check this once i'm on my laptop again :)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:34 am

so, Wux was right, and Jules gave me the simplest solution. indeed, changing that line in .bash_profile to just "exec startx" without the checks for the environment variables autostarts i3 on login. thanks! is there any relevant explanation as to why this works the way it does? in other words: why do these environment variables matter in openbox but not in i3? or am i misunderstanding what the problem is here?

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:44 am

rhowboat wrote:so, Wux was right
First time for everything :)

Perhaps you were starting on a different tty to /dev/tty1 ?
That line is still in my .bash_profile, and i3 is fine.

If only to understand what's happened, perhaps comment out the startx line in the profile, login and then echo those vars - to see what it gives...

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:48 am

default for me is

[10:49:31]$ echo $TTY

[10:49:34]$ echo $TERM
rxvt-unicode