[SOLVED] how to shutdown?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
snowpensi
Oyster-Slurper

[SOLVED] how to shutdown?

Unread post by snowpensi » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi there, I have been using LinuxBBQ for 2-3 years. Now I am running Bork, it is running great, what a lovely release. My only problem I can find is that the "poweroff" option in the Openbox menu isn't working: it goes through its shutdown procedure and the screen goes blank, but the computer power doesn't switch off. Do I need to add my user to a certain group (this is my guess) for shutdown to work correctly? Are there any log files that would give more info on the shutdown issues? Thanks grillmeisters. :)

(edited my post to provide a few more exciting details, as I was just accused of being "boring"!)
Last edited by snowpensi on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dkeg
Configurator

Re: how to shutdown?

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:57 pm

I am not running bork, but here goes...

How are you attempting to poweroff? If it is a menu item in ob-menu, check the config to see where it is pointing.

To skip that; from the terminal, type

Code: Select all

sudo /sbin/poweroff
or
sudo /sbin/shutdown
Also check your .bash_aliases. There is more than likely a 'poweroff' or 'shutdown' alias tied to above commands.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:12 pm

try another kernel, some shutdown, some go as far as ACPI lets them.
..gnutella..

snowpensi
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by snowpensi » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:16 pm

Here is another piece of information: I can '/sbin/poweroff' or '/sbin/shutdown' from a console root login. But not from the GUI (either as user or su'd to root). It goes through the whole shutdown routine and blanks the screen, but the power light stays on and the fans don't stop.

Thanks dkeg, that is helpful advice... I did notice that my user was not in 'sudo' group (perhaps something worth mentioning in the release notes? many of us do not use 'sudo' by default) so I fixed that.

machinebacon, that is helpful advice too. It does seem like ACPI might be related somehow. I will try a different kernel (maybe liquorix?) as my next step.

Another troubleshooting idea I had was maybe to install a display manager? What is recommended for sid these days?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:18 pm

no display manager will fix it. try installing acpid.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:19 pm

Display manager won't help - will most likely only help with suspend.
MB got there before me. :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:20 pm

by the way, default groups for users are in the discretion of the system admin

/etc/default/groups or so :)
..gnutella..

snowpensi
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by snowpensi » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:44 pm

Thank you for talking me out of installing a DM, I don't want that! ;)

Installing acpid didn't fix it, liquorix kernel didn't fix it... trying stock debian kernel next.

Could nvidia drivers be somehow related? That is my next step after the debian kernel I think.

If that doesn't fix it then I'm leaving it for another day, the sun is shining.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:14 pm

so if it works from the terminal; what is the menu option calling?

Work hard; Complain less

snowpensi
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by snowpensi » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:19 pm

... and... further research suggests it was a glitch between either the Nouveau driver and/or the very latest kernel version(s). I used smxi to install the Nvidia driver and Debian kernel, and I can now reboot/shutdown from X.

Obviously not a problem with BBQ (sorry if I offended, hugs) and kudos to the devs for including the tools (smxi/sgfxi) to easily remedy. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:30 pm

good stuff - thanks for coming back with your solution.
Do mark it solved, if you feel it is ;)
Or I will when/if I can be bothered :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

snowpensi
Oyster-Slurper

Re: [SLOVED] how to shutdown?

Unread post by snowpensi » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:46 pm

done and done, wuxmedia!

Well it is always one step forward, two steps back with this "unstable" thing. The nvidia driver is garbage and I can't watch netflix. So I weighed the pros and cons, and made the decision to roll back to nouveau driver. Needing to press the power button to turn off the computer is a very small inconvenience, outweighed by the benefit of being able to watch Orange is the New Black. ;)

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:14 pm

snowp, couldn't you just alias the command to poweroff or create a script to call from the ob-menu? If you place in $PATH would also be accessible through dmenu

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Question amongst friends: is ACPI turned on in BIOS? Just asking, some people never cared about it, some have the old APM (Advanced Power Management). I know this problem (nouveau vs nvidia), though poweroff works on my desktop PC (which is an onboard nVidia chip) with nouveau drivers and the vanilla Debian kernel.

Btw, why you no 'pm-suspend'? :)

drew: IIUC, the existing entry does 'shutdown' the system but does not 'poweroff' the AC/DC, so the problem is a level lower.
..gnutella..