Is it possible to install LinuxBBQ in a USB flash drive

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
ibouvousaime
Distrowatcher

Is it possible to install LinuxBBQ in a USB flash drive

Unread post by ibouvousaime » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:45 pm

Is it possible to install LinuxBBQ in a USB flash drive that has 512 mb of memory ?

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Is it possible to install LinuxBBQ in a USB flash drive

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:23 am

Hello,

for a persistent installation (means: save your changes on a stick) it won't work, because the file system of a standard BBQ installation is around 800-1000 MB in size when unpacked.

For a live session, you can just simply dd all of our active releases on a 512MB drive (we usually try produce ISOs of <350MB), but the changes of the live session won't stick after reboot.

You could mount the internal drives in the live session and access the files there. Any changes to the files on the hard drive do stick then.

For a persistent USB installation on such small stick, I would try Puppy Linux, they are good at it.

Hope this helps :)
..gnutella..

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:01 am

Also Debiandog based on Debian Live
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DebianDog
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:02 am

If you have a bigger stick, a regular install would work. I have tried that earlier and it worked really well for me. My sticks were very big though, 32GB, would probably work with something smaller. But it is rather slow, and updating/upgrading sucks big time. Better not do that. I did it just for trying out some stuff and didn`t want to risk upsetting my regular setup.

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:18 am

Yeah I agree bigger sticks are the way to and they are as cheap as chips.

Makes lugging around my laptop lighter too with no hardrive installed and can use differerent BBQ's on the same machine.

ibouvousaime
Distrowatcher

Unread post by ibouvousaime » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks for your help guys, unfortunatly I can get a bigger stick at the moment so I think I'll take Debiandog since Ive got some internet problems with puppylinux. Actually I'm doing this because my HDD is about to fail

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:32 pm

i dont know whether you only came to the BBQ in search of a distro that would fit your flashdrive, but if you have any other inclination to hang around here, please feel welcome to do so even though you might not use LinuxBBQ. Just make yourself an intro-thread :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:44 pm

ibouvousaime wrote:Thanks for your help guys, unfortunatly I can get a bigger stick at the moment so I think I'll take Debiandog since Ive got some internet problems with puppylinux. Actually I'm doing this because my HDD is about to fail
Forum thread Debiandog: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93225

Good luck:)