Dimmed Screen Help [solved]

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
aspeak
Virgin

Dimmed Screen Help [solved]

Unread post by aspeak » Sun May 03, 2015 2:41 am

Whenever I boot Bork or other distro now from USB the screen brightness is dim. It happens as well with the Debian system I currently have installed. When it boots up, it initially starts dim and at some point brightens during startup. It stays that way until I unplug it from the AC at which point it dims and stays that way even after I plug it back in until I either put it to sleep and wake it back up or else reboot. The laptop is a Thinkpad T410. Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance!

aspeak
Virgin

Re: Dimmed Screen Help

Unread post by aspeak » Sun May 03, 2015 3:33 am

I'm now able in both Bork and also my default Debian install to brighten the screen manually with the 'echo X > /sys/class/backlight/nv_backlight/brightness' command. But what would make the screen default as dim on boot with Bork, or in the case of the default Debian install dim on boot down? Thanks in advance!

aspeak
Virgin

Re: Dimmed Screen Help [SOLVED]

Unread post by aspeak » Sun May 03, 2015 3:53 am

I reset the bios values to default and it fixed the problem. I'm not sure which one did the trick though.

rhowaldt
Dog

Re: Dimmed Screen Help [solved]

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun May 03, 2015 2:27 pm

posting a support thread then solving it yourself before anybody can comment? well done! :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Dimmed Screen Help [solved]

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun May 03, 2015 3:00 pm

You can also add the "xbacklight" package (it does /not/ work on every system though, for example on my T43)

xbacklight -get
xbacklight -inc 10
xbacklight -dec 10
xbacklight -set 60

and if you want to set the RGB levels, you can try this script: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1103
..gnutella..