Help creating bootable USB

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
aspeak
Virgin

Help creating bootable USB

Unread post by aspeak » Sun May 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Any advice on the best way to create a bootable USB with an iso image? For example, I'm able to get Bork working using Unetbootin, but not Hipster or HipsterPlus. Thanks in advance, and apologies for the noobie questions!

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Help creating bootable USB

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun May 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Well, the easiest method, if you are already in Linux, is:

1) plug in the USB drive
2a) open a terminal, enter

Code: Select all

dmesg
and you see the device information usually at the bottom, for example it shows

[ 4123.129503] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
2b) alternatively, enter

sudo fdisk -l
and it shows you the device name of the USB drive

Partition table entries are not in disk order.
Disk /dev/sdb: 15 GiB, 16039018496 bytes, 31326208 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x771afa13

Device     Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1  *        0 1163263 1163264  568M 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
3) if it shows, like in my example, something like "sdb" this is the device to write to
4)

sudo dd if=name_of_the.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M && sync
We write to the device (/dev/sdb), not to the partition (/dev/sdb1)!

If you are in Windows, check LinuxLive to create a USB stick. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

unetbootin is hit and miss, so we really recommend the 'dd' method. Of course, enter the CORRECT device, not that you accidentally wipe your hard drive.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun May 03, 2015 3:45 pm

and of course, if you are not on Linux, you can also burn to cd, run a live session and 'dd' from there :)
(also see dd on the wiki)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

vim
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by vim » Thu May 07, 2015 7:02 am

If Borks works and Hipster* don' t work: can you post a boot message or boot error? Is it really a problem with the linux-version oder the iso-build? I tested also Hipster* but then i switched to Chicken Wings. Perhaps it works. The wm JWM is very smal and if you only want a textbased system you can delete JWM, X11 and reroast it.