Dragging window borders

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
nassausky
apt-getter

Dragging window borders

Unread post by nassausky » Wed May 13, 2015 2:01 am

Hi again,

This is a unique question which may seem easy but might not be easy to solve. I have noticed in different versions of linux that dragging the window vertical and horizontal edges isn't as easy as a Windows client. Is there some way to make the border edges thicker so that it gives me more leeway to easily stretch the window? In this case I'm once again using chickenwings which is using Jwm.

I can't get over how fast the boot speed is. My only close contender in the ubuntu/debian area is Antix.

:)

pidsley
Hermit

Re: Dragging window borders

Unread post by pidsley » Wed May 13, 2015 2:23 am

The jwm documentation is very good.

http://www.joewing.net/projects/jwm/config.shtml

Check out the "window style" section.

http://www.joewing.net/projects/jwm/config.shtml#window

jwm with WindowStyle "Width" set to 6.

This is also covered in the man page ("man jwm")

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Wed May 13, 2015 3:13 am

Wow I think chickenwings defaults to openbox. I can't find a jwm process running and I see in settings there is an openbox config setting. I like the version you left in your scrot. Which linuxbbq is that the default?

I will look for screen border size (window style width) for openbox and see if can find the config file to edit it.

Thanks for the direction.

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Wed May 13, 2015 3:30 am

Thanks again @pidsley I found it. I thought I was on JWM since I'm can't tell the difference between jwm and openbox but more importantly the linuxbbq main page says chickenwings uses JWM.

To change the border width I found it was just edit the file /usr/share/themes/<theme name here>/openbox-3/themerc, and set the following:

Code: Select all

border.Width: 1
window.handle.width: 0
then type in the below into terminal to restart the window manager

Code: Select all

openbox --restart

Even more interesting is I learned something else too that I didn't have to change the border size since there is a keyboard trick which is holding down the ALT button and dragging the RIGHT mouse button inside near the edge of the window and it will resize the window without needing to get the mouse exactly on the edge.

Should I note somewhere in another post that the homepage says JWM when it seems it boots to openbox instead or did I miss something after downloading the ISO image.

Thanks very much for the info.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed May 13, 2015 6:41 am

Simply do it like this:

- sudo apt-get install jwm
- change the last line in ~/.xinitrc to "exec jwm"
- there must be a ~/.jwmrc file in your ~/ folder (if not, then ... it's not chickenwings you're using - maybe BORK! ?)
- if not, visit https://github.com/linuxbbq/wm-configs/tree/master/jwm
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed May 13, 2015 6:53 am

Okay back from checking the chicken.

Nassausky, I booted into the Live session of chickenwings and checked - everything is OK, there is no Openbox installed on the uploaded ISO, it does not link to another ISO, and so far other users have not experienced what you described. No idea where the problem is, but the problem is definitely not the ISO that we put on the server. I took a screenshot:
chickenwings.png
So you have two choices:

1) get the ISO http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxbb ... o/download
2) ask me nicely for the config file ;)

or simply check your home folder for a file named .jwmrc (if it IS chickenwings, there is this file), in this case you only need to edit ~/.xinitrc as I wrote above. Whatever the fuck happened there.
..gnutella..

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Wed May 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Goodmorn,

I think I need some smelling salt to wake myself up. I originally installed chickenwings but wound up using bork. I wound up remastering (taking a snapshot of it with my new background) and was playing with it so much that I forgot it was bork.

Thanks for clarifyijng my confusion.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed May 13, 2015 1:21 pm

aha! glad that got sorted :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed May 13, 2015 1:27 pm

lol - thanks.
..gnutella..