Two questions: 1) Rocks! RT-kernel? 2)SystemD and Sid?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Potatohead
killall X

Two questions: 1) Rocks! RT-kernel? 2)SystemD and Sid?

Unread post by Potatohead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Question 1. I read that the Rocks! version has a different, " real time" kernel. I suppose this makes timing in music apps more tight. My question: I use office apps, graphical apps and music apps (I play music myself). What would be better? (I'm using a 64-bit machine):

a- use the Rocks! version as a basis, and add graphical and office apps
b- use a non-RT kernel version as a basis, and add the music apps
c- install two versions side by side (disadvantage: I wiill have to maintain them both plus I'll have to log off/ log on)

BTW, I'm not actually recording tracks, but I'm using it for rehearsals, practice etc. Speciaffically I like to slow music down so I can hear what they are doing when I'm learning new stuff)

Question 2. Some BBQ-versions have SystemD for starting processes up, others are on SysV. I cannot follow the heated debates on this topic. But - I think Debian will not (yet) make the switch to SystemD, right? And isn't it true dat SystemD influences the location of files. I other words, my question is, has SystemD impact in how I can install applications from the Debian repos?

Thanks all you gurus

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Two questions: 1) Rocks! RT-kernel? 2)SystemD and Sid?

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Answer 1. The real time kernel is more accurate in finishing a given task in a given interval of time, without allowing it to be interrupted (except when explicitly said so). It is most interesting for timed tasks like SMPTE and processes where low latencies are wished. IMO, for you purposes (no recording and no MIDI bridge) the standard towo kernel is just fine.

Answer 2. systemd is the de-facto init process in BBQ and I only kept a few SysV spins for those who want to compare the performance (Proof is a good example). Debian is moving (present progressive) to systemd and I call their implementation "half-assed" (not the quality, but the quantity), it is a mixed system and a full migration is not expected before next year I guess. The actual installation and execution of applications is not influenced, however, daemons and services may require fine-tuning (see the systemd journal and systemd-analyze for what can be done with it). In 99% of the cases you just install and use the applications as before ;) As for the location of files: only those which are needed for systemd are newly created (softlinks, actually), apart from those I can't think of an example where files have changed their location.
..gnutella..

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:09 pm

Oki Doki then! Think I'll start with Escargot, add i3wm OR goomwwm, the applications that I need etc. Or I may start with Mother and strip. 'Mother Stripped' lol.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:14 pm

I'd take Trollinger, to be honest :) (as it is not heavier than Escargot, but more complete and newer)
..gnutella..

swftech
Sobe

Unread post by swftech » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:28 pm

^ Trollinger really is an awesome LXDE release, and I'm not an LXDE fan boy at all. Very low on resources. Only reason I chose proof over trollinger is because of my new love for Xfce :)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:34 pm

^, ^^, Trollinger is an excellent base to build on. It's very light, and other window managers can be added easily.

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=2018#p2018
http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=2006#p2006

Also easy to start with Proof, and add almost anything.

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=1566#p1566

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I want 64-bit. ..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:40 pm

there is a 64 release of Trollinger if you want, looks, feels and tastes great:)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:48 pm

All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

swftech
Sobe

Unread post by swftech » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Pidsley makes some valid points :D Also, nice scrots!
rhoster, vic and baconator all also make some valid points...cookies for everyone since no thumbs up button :P

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Rhowaldt, you might want to update the "releases" page here: http://linuxbbq.org/editions2.html (it still says Tollinger is a respin of Saltimbocca and "our recommendation for 32-bit") -- also the "get it here" link goes to the release notes (which implies Trollinger is 32-bit only), while the other "get it here" links either go to a blog post or directly to download.

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 pm

allright! Thanks guys. Im off to fire up "Bertha", my good ole desktop from 200 BC, which I keep at hand whem I,m messing with Tank, my Thinkpad on which I install fast things...

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

And Betha is downloadin' right now, ye olde disk is-a-spinnin'

Let's see. I like OpenBox, LXDE and XFCE so it's all good. I'll put on i3wm and/or goomwwm anyway

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 pm

@pidsley: thanks, good point. but there is a slight issue: machinebacon maintains the website at the moment. so i either need to get some access there or he'll have to change it himself :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Is there a torrent please? The mirror is godawful slow, seems like I'll be downloading all night long, @75 kB/s

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm

sorry potatohead, no torrents available until somebody chooses to make them available. what are you using for your download? i usually get better speeds than that. the recommended method is by using wget, like so

Code: Select all

wget -c http://linuxbbq.org/releases/LXDE/linuxbbq-trollinger64.iso
it might help. dunno for sure.

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm simply using the download manager in Opera. Maybe it's a hicup in my network. Its not Bertha, Tank is just as slow. I'll see if I can get an account @ the new Mega site, maybe we can put some ISOs there.......

Or else there is Dropbox, GDocs, Box, Spideroak... - if you want me to open a BBQ account, I'd be please to do so.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:22 pm

We have had consistent reports of slow downloads using (any) download manager in (any) browser. Please try the direct "wget" method in rhowaldt's post.

OTOH, I have used Iceweasel to download isos several times with no problems at all. But wget is the recommended method. Please try it.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:27 am

yup my connection normally maxes out at 700k ish
with either browser or wget.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:35 am

I wasn't blessed with a millionaire as ex-wife, so this explains the "Godawful slowness". Please keep in mind that we do this all for free, and we invest our spare time (and private funds) into it. Complaints directly to my Inbox. Thanks.

Edit: Dropbox/Mega/whatever: no f....ng way. If a potential user can't even wait an hour to download an ISO we better make a natural selection process at this point.
..gnutella..