How to start browser on boot for all users

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
nassausky
apt-getter

How to start browser on boot for all users

Unread post by nassausky » Mon May 18, 2015 2:03 am

It's now fun-time with linuxbbq-academy with the wmii window manager. Very small and seems it might do the job for what I want.

The issue now is creating a snapshot with having a browser (qupzilla) startup on boot. Such a simple question for almost everyone but I get lost with all the different versions of linux I played with. I apologize because in the past I made hacks and haven't really put everything exactly where things belonged but I want to do it right for a quicker startup time.

I love how fast linuxbbq boots and even found a way to remaster and it's been treating me good so far with about a dozen custom snapshots made so far with bork & chickenwings as the base.

All I had to do to remaster (snapshot) while running a LIVE session was add this exclusion parameter

Code: Select all

--exclude ="/lib/live/mount
to the bbqsnapshot script in /usr/local/bin and search for

rsync -av --progress /myfs / --delete
around line 227 and add that exclusion parameter above into the rsync copy argument after the delete argument.

Here is what I did

rsync -av --progress / myfs/ --delete --exclude="/lib/live/mount" --exclude="$ work_dir" --exclude="$snapshot_dir" --exclude-from="$snapshot_excludes"
That is thanks to a translated page at https://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic. ... 5&t=155267

but now the problem is figuring out what file to add "qupzilla &" to so that all users have it automatically started after they login.

I'm going to play for the time being and probably get it working but I would like to check back here to see if what I finally did matched up the 'correct' or preferred way to startup a qupzilla gui browser session for the wmii window manager in a debian derivative.

Sorry & Thanks for any help.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: How to start browser on boot for all users

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon May 18, 2015 4:47 am

I really don't get it why people fuck around with the snapshot script instead of editing the configuration file for it.

/usr/lib/bbqsnapshot/snapshot_exclude.list

add:

- /lib/live/overlay
- /lib/live/image
- /lib/live/rootfs
- /lib/live/mount
- /run/*
Put the "qupzilla &" into ~/.xinitrc and /etc/skel/.xinitrc before the "exec x-window-manager" line
..gnutella..

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Mon May 18, 2015 11:26 pm

Good to know... Will give it a run with using the exclude file.

Got it to before your tips when I put qupzilla & at the end of ~/.wmii/wmiirc_local but will change it over to ~/.xinitrc and dupe it for new users in /etc/skel/.xinitrc so will try your technique out soon.

I actually previously tried it after "exec x-window-manager" but it didn't load up. Thought I had to load up the window manager before loading the qupzilla GUI

Thanks for the direction..

vim
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by vim » Tue May 19, 2015 3:04 pm

I really don't get it why people fuck around with the snapshot script instead of editing the configuration file for it.
Thanks. That is better than my old workaround. Perhaps someone can update http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/Bbqsnapshot

I think a lot of user only want re-re-re-roast usb-sticks without installations.

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Tue May 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Amen it works praise to Baconator. Yes documenting it would be sweet cause otherwise I sin and delve into other non-saintly sources haha.

Thanks

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue May 19, 2015 5:11 pm

http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/Xinitrc
http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2074#4

It's there ;)

The Magic Process is exec x-window-manager if this is the last line, else it is whatever comes after it. You could have an xclock popping up, and when you close the xclock, the whole X session quits:

exec x-window-manager &
xclock

But let's keep it normal. exec x-window-manager as last and you are safe.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue May 19, 2015 10:39 pm

^ ha, cool, never thought of it like that. thanks for the illumination :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed May 20, 2015 3:32 am

^ taken from evilwm's documentation, actually: https://github.com/kek/evilwm/blob/master/README
..gnutella..