Session Manager for Academy to get tightvncserver working

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
nassausky
apt-getter

Session Manager for Academy to get tightvncserver working

Unread post by nassausky » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:13 am

How can I tell what the session manager is for Academy and where does it get started up?

The reason I'm asking is I almost have my snapshot how I want it. I installed tightvncserver and the vnc clients keep connecting into the wrong display. There was an forum posting that noted about removing /etc/X11/Xsession from the xstartup of tightvncserver and replacing it with:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/lxsession -s Lubuntu -e LXDE 
but Academy linux which uses wmii window manager doesn't use lxsession so I wasn't sure how to replace the above code to get tightvncserver to allow the client to open up the realtime live display.

Thanks.

nassausky
apt-getter

Re: Session Manager for Academy to get tightvncserver workin

Unread post by nassausky » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:06 am

I read a couple times that they say x11vnc will show a live remote session but that seems to be 10 meg larger when I try to apt-get install it.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:10 am

Just install lxsession if you want a session manager, it works wm-independently. At least that's what I know.
Probably you (also) need a policykit or dbus session running, so starting the WM would require something like:

/usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd --no-debug
exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session YOUR_WM

Of course, you need to install a policykit-daemon for this (lxpolkit, policykit-1, or so)
..gnutella..

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks, lxsesion is 20Meg alone but x11vnc is 10Meg. I think i might be better off just doing x11vnc.

Thinking about posting a custom tutor on how to create a custom locked down snapshot time permitting.