Install live version AS-IS to hdd

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
nassausky
apt-getter

Install live version AS-IS to hdd

Unread post by nassausky » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:18 am

Generally is there a quick way to install a live snapshot like Academy with some of my customizations and modified user account settings to my hard drive?

I ran the bbqinstaller and I was able to do it in a few steps.
1) Installed to the HDD
2) Created a user named user to match the live distribution
3) Mounted the ISO image of my modifed live snapshot
4) Unsquashed my /home/user to a temp folder
5) Copied the temp folder to my /home/user on the HDD after it was installed

I guess I can combine 4 & 5 and copy it directly to the /home/user folder.

Any quicker idea (or correct way)

Oh btw I have a rough set of instructions for a quick way to setup a media snapshot. What part of the forum should I post it to?

Thanks

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: Install live version AS-IS to hdd

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:40 am

I've not make a snapshot for ages, but you should be able to modify the install script to add a user files that you want.

Code: Select all

less  /usr/local/bin/bbqinstall
if it's multi user one can put things in /etc/skel. so making a new user populates it when a new user is created.
thats all I got. :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:02 pm

Yep OK I might duplicate the script and call it something like bbinstalluser to install to HDD with a parameter provided username. :)

Thanks wux.

(Just checked the script it references a bbqinstall.conf file which is not existent. Anyone know what that is for?)
Last edited by nassausky on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:12 pm

Why not keeping the 'user' user and comment the bbqinstall (or bbqinstaller) script where it removes the 'user' and 'user' directory? In /usr/local/bin/bbqinstall it is this part:

Code: Select all

echo "I: Removing live user from installation"
chroot /target deluser user
chroot /target rm -rf /home/user
And then just copy the whole /home/user to /etc/skel (I usually do this manually one by one, so no .cache or other unwanted dotfiles are being copied). Every newly created user gets the /etc/skel content anyway (by default), and the live user would be the 'user' user.

or did I misunderstand the original question?

Edit: how-to's are in the HOW-TO section: http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewforum.php?f=19
..gnutella..

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:15 pm

I'm lovin it. Thanks will give it a try