[solved] Argentina78 - firsrunwizard does not work.

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
MrPink
applies for custom title

[solved] Argentina78 - firsrunwizard does not work.

Unread post by MrPink » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 pm

I just installed Argentina78 on my laptop, and the first run wizard does not work. This is the output of "firstrunwizard":

Code: Select all

john@bbq:~$ firstrunwizard
john@bbq:~$ /usr/bin/startup: line 3: mpg123: command not found
#cecece
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/firstrun/shell.py", line 465, in <module>
    s = Shell()
  File "/usr/lib/firstrun/shell.py", line 317, in __init__
    if cache['libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental'].installed:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 185, in __getitem__
    raise KeyError('The cache has no package named %r' % key)
KeyError: "The cache has no package named 'libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental'"
Last edited by MrPink on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Argentina78 - firsrunwizard does not work.

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 pm

hi,

try a

sudo apt-get update

first. thanks :)
..gnutella..

MrPink
applies for custom title

Re: Argentina78 - firsrunwizard does not work.

Unread post by MrPink » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 am

I did an apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade last night and shut it down, and when I turned it on this morning, it worked.

Another quick question: I have always used 64bit whenever possible, without giving much thought as to why. Is there any (dis)advantages to choosing 32bit Argentina78 over 64bit Paardenrookvlees?

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: [solved] Argentina78 - firsrunwizard does not work.

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 pm

^ A good decision, I recommend using the terminal method for upgrading opposed to the graphical frontends. We have a few aliases, by the way:
upd = apt-get updates;
upg = apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade;
search = apt-cache search;
ins = apt-get install ;
purge = apt-get autoremove --purge

To answer the question about 32 vs 64: apart from the package list (Argentina78 is a ready-made desktop opposed to Paardenrookvlees, that serves as base edition for 32 and 64), there's as much difference as the 64-bit uses a tad more RAM than the 32-bit version. Honestly, I have around 20 partitions with different flavours and barely (or not at all) notice a difference in "normal usage mode" -- surfing, editing, home entertainment -- though I have to admit that recently I haven't been virtualizing or used heavy machinery on top.
My opinion is: if the computer can run 64bit, and you have enough RAM (>=4GB), choose 64bit. If you stay with 32-bit and want to take advantage of the PAE kernel, it needs to be downloaded/enabled with a "ins linux-headers-siduction-686-pae linux-image-siduction-686-pae" (IIRC), the versions on the server are i686 without PAE kernel.
..gnutella..

MrPink
applies for custom title

Unread post by MrPink » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Vaio with a 2.4GHz Centrino2 and 4GB RAM, so there is plenty of memory to spare. I think, I will try the 64bit base edition and roast my own from there.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Sounds absolutely reasonable, both using 64 as well as roasting it up :) Happy grilling!
..gnutella..