Starting terminal from X

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
nassausky
apt-getter

Starting terminal from X

Unread post by nassausky » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:35 am

I noticed:

in ChickenWings (JWM) the hotkeys Ctrl & Enter starts a terminal and
in Cream the hotkeys Alt+Shift & Enter starts a terminal globally in most of the window managers

I can't find the code in either distribution for this. Would be great if someone can help me find it.

Thanks

simgin
Meme Fodder

Re: Starting terminal from X

Unread post by simgin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 am

^ Sorry have you installed Cream or are you still in Live session ??? Technically it doesn't matter if you are running loads of BBQ versions, but why is this a problem if you know what the differences between them are? (Plus, there was a period of time between each were made...) Sorry just saying!

Cheers
Simon

PS: I think you may get a comment very soon to help you out :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:06 am

a couple places to check
1. .xbindkeysrc
2. the wm conf file
IIRC plenty of BBQ spins have a default xbindkeysrc. Also check .xinitrc if xbindkeys is getting started there. There can be conflicts b/t the wm keybindings and xbindkeys

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:28 pm

the command

Code: Select all

grep x-terminal-emulator ~/.jwmrc
shows you what's going on in JWM.

For Cream we had to pick a keycombo that does not conflict with existing keycombos of the 75 x-window-managers, so alt-shift-enter is the selected keycombo, managed via ~/.xbindkeysrc and xbindkeys. Chicken Wings (JWM) does not need an external program for keybindings.
..gnutella..

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:33 pm

For the record I pretty much live in live haha. After I get a sweet live image and tested it on a few machines then I might decide to install it to the HDD.

Well this all started because I am now working on a raspberry pi. I wish I knew enough how to make a bootable image of some of the distributions of linuxbbq on it but until then I found a debian image but I like the idea of having the quick terminal shortcuts.

Thanks for the clues. I can't believe I skimmed by it yesterday in .jwmrc in chicken wings.

Code: Select all

<Key mask="A" key="Return">exec:x-terminal-emulator</Key>
Now I'm going to go digging in cream via xbindkeys like you said. I figured the global hotkey was from a service.

Thanks once again

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:05 pm

^ there was talk of a Pi version.
none of the current spins will boot on it (no amd64 or x86 versions of anything will, discounting anything exotic idk about)
needs to be from the ground up - on ARM. I understand debian to be a good base for Pi.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:18 pm

^ Yup Raspian ;)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Debian Jessie runs better than I thought.it would but this is a 2nd generation Pi clone.