[SOLVED] Switching from sysv to openrc

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Titan
なまいき

[SOLVED] Switching from sysv to openrc

Unread post by Titan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:01 pm

Hello grillers

So i am trying to switch from sysv to openrc, and im a little confused.
Its easier to explain with images.

The first img shows the machine booting with openrc
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng1t9a5ylfifo ... 8.png?dl=0

But after logging in, I run the command shown and it states i am running sysv
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yty1emd7s9dpl ... 1.png?dl=0

The command I use was found on unix.stackexchange, where the user like myself was wanting to know how they could tell which init they were using, after experiementing with different systems.

My question is, and this may sound obvious. Am I definatley using openrc here, and the output of dpkg -S /sbin/init is wrong ?

The debian system in those images is a netinstall from which i have had to jump through numerous hoops to replace systemd.
The steps in brief were :

1.) apt-get install sysvinit sysvinit-core sysvinit-utils
2.) reboot
3.) dpkg -S /sbin/init
4.) apt-get remove --auto-remove --purge systemd
5.) reboot
6.) dpkg -S /sbin/init
7.) apt-get install openrc
8.) for file in /etc/rc0.d/K*; do s=`basename $(readlink "$file")` ; /etc/init.d/$s stop; done
9.) reboot
10.) dpkg -S /sbin/init

The steps above may seem long winded, but following the first two parts of these steps (link: http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.p ... stallation) result in an error, that systemd cannot be removed as it is the active init. Even rebooting the system did not make sysv the default init.

Also, thanks to advice from our Lord and Saviour Machinebacon, ive been advised to ignore preventing systemd and any of its extras from installing as some important packages in the future will depend on them, and they can be installed without assimilating my install.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Switching from sysv to openrc

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:59 am

You'll get a less technical response from me, but yes, you are now on openrc. Even test it out with some openrc commands

Code: Select all

rc-status
rc-update [add|remove] <service> [runlevel]
I'm sure MB can come by and give a more thorough explanation.

Work hard; Complain less

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:05 am

before systemd it was just 'install openrc'
that was some time ago.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:55 am

I do not know much about this stuff, but I BELIEVE openrc is not a complete init system, by itself?
As the wiki page says:

Code: Select all

On Unix-like systems, OpenRC is a dependency-based init system that works with the system-provided init program, normally /sbin/init; however, it is not a replacement for /sbin/init.
I am guessing that it uses whatever init system you have, to some degree, but really is more like a service controller thing?

I hope someone that knows, comes with a real answer.

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Thanks guys, I was 99% sure i was booting with openrc but thought it wouldnt hurt to make sure.

I've got a few different things open now, trying to make sense of this.
The man page seems pretty useful and im just reading through this : https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/Bas ... _migration
Pretty sure i can work out what is not relevant to debian. Another thing to do is to go through the /etc/rc.conf and try to understand that.

EDIT : @ rust, yeah you are right, it complements the init according to the gentoo page, that explains the output of dpkg. The debian wiki page is sparse on details.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol