[SOLVED] Trying to fix bumblebee on debian sid

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Titan
なまいき

[SOLVED] Trying to fix bumblebee on debian sid

Unread post by Titan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Final Edit : SOLVED!, I am an idiot! and when I have caught some Z's I will tell you how I fixed this and why I am an idiot.

[Solution]
The debian wiki mentions nothing about screen flickering, but the arch wiki page for bumblebee does so i first tried to follow those troubleshooting tips. Creating the file 20-intel.conf and placing it in /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d broke things, so i commented the file rather than deleting it. The problem it caused was fixed but the screen still flickered.

Then I wondered why the file did not exist allready, and this was because for some strange reason the package xserver-xorg-video-intel had NOT automatically been installed, even though its counterpart xserver-xorg-video-nvidia was during the bumblebee installation. Simply installing video-intel and leaving the 20-intel.conf file commented out fixed screen flickering. Yeah I know, major fail on my part :D

The original issue below was caused by me not fully understanding the documentation the first time round and making a complete hash of things.

Second Issue - screen flickering
New Edit : Being a stubborn asshole I decided to continue trying to figure this out. After so much hacking of my install I decided to start over by re-installing.
This time after doing things differently the only issue I now have is screen flickering in X. If the cursor is focused on an X window the flickering/tearing is random. However there is NO flickering/tearing if the cursor is resting on the i3 status bar.
Original content, no longer relevant to current issue.
So yesterday i tried to install X and bumblebee on sid, but without a lot of the unneeded packages from a regular apt-get install xorg.

The following command is what i used :
apt-get install --no-install-recommends xinit xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse xfonts-base bumblebee-nvidia primus

APT appeared to install the X packages without error, but when it tried to install bumblebee several screens of information similar to the one shown in this image appeared :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3lk779ns4u3g ... 5.jpg?dl=0

With keyboard input not working i hard reset the machine. When i rebooted apt told me to run
dpkg --configure -a

The result of running that was the image shown above. Can anyone help me figure out what has happened and how to fix it? So far google has returned results for ubuntu and other distros that are a few years out of date.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Re: Trying to install bumblbee on debian sid

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Nah, man. You just wanted us to see your dank Alienware laptop ;)
Titan edit - nope, didnt have anything installed to take screenshots.

But in all seriousness, did you try to install Bumblebee with the primus package too?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia primus
[/s]

At least (according the the Debian Wiki article) it looks like you need that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Dr_Chroot on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Yes, my first post clearly shows I included bumblebee-nvidia and primus in the apt-get.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:29 pm

^ Whoops! Sorry, completely missed that. Disregard the idiot.
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Couple of things. It looks like in your first post that you install xinit, the intel video driver, some input drivers, fonts, and bumblebee. I don't see where you install the X server. I know you don't want the entire xorg package, but you need the server. Maybe xserver-xorg-core would be enough (note that the "xserver-xorg" package does not include the X server, but "xserver-xorg-core" does.)

I don't think you need -input-kbd and -input-mouse. You do need xserver-xorg-input-evdev.

You are seeing a kernel panic. I'm not sure why installing bumblebee would cause a kernel panic. This happened during the install, not when you tried to "startx"?

IMO, bumblebee introduces enough complexity to your install that I would just go with the xorg package (look at its depends, it's not that bad, and it pulls in some utilities you will want anyway). Once you get bumblebee working, you can try removing some of the packages you don't need.

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:05 pm

@Pidsley

I copied the apt-get line straight from my notes i made earlier, i did install xserver-xorg-core and input-evdev later (just forgot to update my notes :D)
Presently I have a working desktop :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a72r63h0r0e6k ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Im using xserver-xorg-video-intel and i3. I wanted to get a working graphical environment before trying to configure bumblebee to use the secondary nvidia chip.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:20 pm

^ Well, that's progress! And one step at a time is always a good way to troubleshoot.

Do you still get the kernel panic when you try to install bumblebee-nvdia and primus?

I am afraid you have once again reached the limits of my knowledge -- I know nothing about bumblebee. I am sure you will eventually get it working. And then you can write a how-to topic :)

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:29 pm

^ I'm about to install and configure bumblebee now.

I'm currently reading both : https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee and https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO as i know some libs for games i run in wine require 32bit packages.

If I get this to work I will cobble together my various notes into something that is hopefully sensible to normal folks.

Titan
なまいき

Re: [Re-opened]Trying to install bumblbee on debian sid

Unread post by Titan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Being a stubborn asshole I decided to continue trying to figure this out. After so much hacking of my install I decided to start over by re-installing.

This time after doing things differently the only issue I now have is screen flickering in X.
I will try to give details of what I did differently, but first I must order the notes into the order in which I did things this time.

If the cursor is focused on an X window the flickering/tearing is random. However there is NO flickering/tearing if the cursor is resting on the i3 status bar.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: [SOLVED] Trying to fix bumblebee on debian sid

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:36 pm

titan, for fun: what if you turn a compositor on? just install 'compton' and put it into .xinitrc, as in

compton &
or (as shown in the manpage of compton)
compton -bcCGf -i 0.8 -e 0.8 --no-fading-openclose --sw-opti &

before the last "exec" line in xinitrc.
..gnutella..

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:03 am

Baconface, first i tried with just compton &
It made the fonts and icons in programs "appear" sharper. No transparency however.

Then i tried with compton -bcCGf -i 0.8 -e 0.8 --no-fading-openclose --sw-opti &
This time there is tearing when scrolling down web pages in Iceweasel, but i get nice transparency in the URL bar of my browser when typing new URL.

Is it supposed to do more than this?

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:24 am

You can set a .compton.conf, or set most stuff like what you have there. Personally, I have a .conf, with most of those options, but you can also set rules too; like I want transparency except on [...], or I want shadows, except on [...]

From the man page; although sadly, I knew most of these offhand.

b=background process
c=shadows (default is -15 I think)
C=no shadows on docks
G=no shadows on drag/drop windows
f=fading (negated with the --no-fading-openclose)
i=inactive opacity
e=active opacity
swi=performace switch

Work hard; Complain less

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:47 pm

@dkeg - thanks, i will look into this soon.

compton has actually just made things worse, before i had no tearing but now i do have tearing with it. If after playing around i cannot get it to work it will be purged.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:51 pm

Compton is very simple but it has a ton of options.

For a tearing free experience look at this thread:

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f ... it=compton

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:58 am

Brilliant! thank you Ivan

I put the compton line in ~/.xinitrc and the tearing is fixed.