Can Cream be installed to HD with all wm's intact?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
twodogs
Riesenpenis

Unread post by twodogs » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:35 pm

I know Cream is meant to be run in live mode, but I would also like to install Cream.

I did try to install Cream but after a startx I was in a bleak Openbox.

The reason I want to install Cream is so that I can play with all the wm's, tmux framebuffer etc. and have everything saved with any changes I make.

Thanks for your help/input. Much appreciated.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: Can Cream be installed to HD with all wm's intact?

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:08 pm

It is not meant to be installed, but you could give it a go.
I did it when it came out and everything worked as expected. Just do not expect support on this kind of operation because Cream really was intended for live purposes.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:14 pm

Yes, you should be able to install Cream (I have done this.) Just do not try to upgrade or dist-upgrade after you install.

When you installed, did you create a new user, or are you logging in as "bbq"? Either way, when you log in you should get the same dialog you get in the live session (asking you if you want to start X, tmux, or framebuffer, and then starting the WM chooser dialog if you select "Start X session") -- you should never have to type "startx."

Please post the contents of the following files for your user:

Code: Select all

~/.bash_profile
~/.xinitrc
As GekkoP said, support will be limited, because we never intended for people to do this (also I have other things to do :)

You might also try creating a persistent USB stick instead of installing.

twodogs
Riesenpenis

Unread post by twodogs » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Thanks for your help , I do appreciate. I currently do not have it installed at this time. Just wondering if I could.

When I did try to install it before, I must have done something wrong during the install because it didn't look/act like Cream.

Thanks, again.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Moved to support.

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:50 am

Removed HD to ensure GRUB went in the right place and I didn't break my Debian swap (again, lol). From LiveCD, installed to USB via terminal bbqinstaller. Created Linux & swap partitions in Parted during. All WMs intact and working.

I wanted it installed too, just so i could test saving configs to different WMs to (try to) figure out which I like more.

Have also successfully updated and dist-upgraded, but I'm probably the exception to the norm. I'm sure I'll break it sooner or later. Clonezilla'd the full fresh install, so i can try whatever, break, restore, repeat.

I won't install to HD though as I don't expect this to be very stable installed... Debian Unstable gets fussy with too many DEs cross dependencies. I can imagine 76 WMs at once will do equal or worse with updates.
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:11 pm

Although you could install it without dist-upgrading it later like mentioned by a post by Pidsley.

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f ... cad#p44211

After that you can have fun.

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:53 pm

How many dist-upgrades does it take to break the center of a Cream kernel? 2 Ah ah ah.

1st one went smooth, took 2 hrs. 2nd one froze after about 8hrs. Saw a lot of systemd and gtk stuff being listed during it... So reloaded from clonezilla, trying again without upgrades this time. Gonna avoid synaptic this time like u recommended cause i think that added the breakthroughng point with extra dependencies. Gotta love how fast it is to restore such a small distro though, even with that many wms!
Thank You!

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:29 pm

^ We did warn you about installing it. Just use it to try some window managers and then install and configure the ones you like on a regular install.

Or simply install any window manager you think looks interesting; most of the window managers in Cream are unconfigured just like they come from the repos.

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:51 am

I knew it would break sooner or later. I'm sure Ill break it again soon.
Not complaining, just stating an observation.

I just wanted it installed so i could test configuring WMs and see what i can make comfortable. Id rather keep breaking and restoring this than crash a HD with real data on it... Just found it funny it went flawless rnd 1, then slow motion crash rnd 2. Thought I was gonna get away with dist-upgrades for a min. By the time i make up my mind, I may have a nice list of things not to do in Cream though, lol.
Thank You!