Chickenwings shows assorted OSD messages (Solved)

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
nassausky
apt-getter

Chickenwings shows assorted OSD messages (Solved)

Unread post by nassausky » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:12 am

I see that chickenwings has a tray button configured in ~/.jwmrc that displays PLY on the lower right and when clicked, it starts playstream which in turn starts a stream and displays an on screen message Buffering http://voxsc1.somafm.com:8880.

I see that ~/.playstream file which has the stream address in it. Not sure how to enable the on screen display BUFFERING message. Is it a library that needs to be added that enables the on screen display since I tried adding it to the academy build after installing the jwm window manager. I did notice that adding xosd-bin did enable the SYS osd from the jwm tray button.

Ty
Last edited by nassausky on Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

nassausky
apt-getter

Re: Chickenwings shows assorted OSD messages (Solved)

Unread post by nassausky » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:04 am

OK got it playstream is a script and not compiled code. Both PLY and SYS from the tray buttons use osd_cat with displays messages to the x display.

Turns out the line to echo the buffering site was remarked out. Also did some research on making the font larger. Academy was missing a couple things:

Code: Select all

$sudo apt-get install xosd-bin
#which has osd_cat command and 
$sudo apt-get install xfonts-100dpi
then from this post http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f ... nts#p36883

Code: Select all

$sudo fc-cache -fs
$sudo mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/local
$sudo mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/local

$xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local
$xset fp rehash
Then restart X (I used Ctrl-Alt-Backspace)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:59 am

Ahh, my favourite type of support questions: self answered ones :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Oh I don't mind them so much when I don't grow any new grey hairs haha.

BTW osd_cat is pretty cool how it is a timed on screen display which you can scrape and paste any kind of data you want on the X desktop

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:04 pm

nassausky wrote:BTW osd_cat is pretty cool how it is a timed on screen display which you can scrape and paste any kind of data you want on the X desktop
http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1135