linuxbbq based on stable branch

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
denethor
Oyster-Slurper

linuxbbq based on stable branch

Unread post by denethor » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi to all. I am very interested if there is a possibility to release a debian stable version of linuxbbq. If you have no such plans, how could I install the bbq tools after installing a minimal debian from the net iso. Thank you in advance.

vic
Godot

Re: linuxbbq based on stable branch

Unread post by vic » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:30 pm

No worry denethor. I have an install of BORK! 32bit based on "Jessie". Works great. Very easy to do, install it, then install the stable kernel, fix your source list to match Debian stable. Get rid of the whatever kernel it came with and you are there. No problems, no worries with it at all, it just works. :)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:44 am

Would be interesting to see if it still works (from sid to jessie) after the heavy transitions.
..gnutella..

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Thank you for the info! I will try the bork release as vic suggested one of these days and we will see how it goes. I hope it works...

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:00 pm

A question for machinebacon. Do you plan in the near time a new release (based on sid)? I would give it try but with the recent transitions, I do not want to try the older releases. Anyway, it would be great if you could release some .deb files or scripts to easily transform a netinstall to linuxbbq... Then we could use the daily images from debian.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:06 pm

^ Try this one, freshly arrived: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2220

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:15 pm

denethor,

it's a bit 'complicated' to create a linuxbbq release from Debian netinstall due to some operations on system level (runlevels, init system, APT preferences, siduction sources and fixes, build process, live-boot, kernel patches). Actually, you would need to purge quite a lot of stuff on netinstall, and honestly I don't have much time to test and try these changes just for the sake of creating a deb file (plus maintaining another repo) and for the convenience of others :) After all, it's just a fun and hobby project :)
BBQ spins are not just "add a theme and make an ISO". Of course, if you only want the look and feel of linuxbbq: we're (slowly) populating the github with config files. The sexy Xresources themes and framebuffer schemes are alive already.
My comment about the transition is only pointed at sid -> jessie + dist-upgrade. I have upgraded a few installations (partly from 2014) without problems in the last days. So, Hipster/Lacipecsenye are perfectly fine as base if dist-upgraded today.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:07 pm

btw, welcome to the grill denethor. how about an intro thread? :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Thanks for the answers! I guess an intro thread is in order....

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:33 pm

/Moved to support.

As suggested by Bacon, our Github is a goldmine.

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:01 am

I noticed the lessons in the Academy release notes and installed it... WOW. You really write a very good tutorial. I am too sleepy now, but tomorrow I will proceed by first "stabilizing" to jessie the install and then go through the lessons. Great work. I just love FOSS and seeing that not all people care only about profit, is encouriging for the humanity's future.

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Due to time limitations (I have a beautiful daughter of 7months), I can't proceed with my plans... Is there an easy way to at least install on top of my debian stable intallation the bbqsnapshot tool and all the requirements/dependencies in order to create a easy snapshot which could be installed as easy as bbq and run live from a usb? I suppose somehow through github but I don't have any experience with it. If you could point out some useful links for fast learning the procedure of installing from the github I would very much appreciate it.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:55 pm

I'd say the easiest is: http://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/files/tools/

Check the refracta-snapshot and refracta-installer. That's what you want. Create an installable snapshot from Debian stable.
..gnutella..

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:21 pm

I wanted to have the simplicity of your tools.... "bbqinstall /dev/sda /dev/sda2" is as K.I.S.S. as it gets! I guess I could try the refracta. Thank you very much for your help machinebacon. I hope this week I could get some time for the Academy partition. The thing is that although I am fascinated by the geekish window managers and cli tools, my needs are really covered best by the gui... Informatica was my hobby since I was 12 and I find it hard to accept the fact that I could not follow it any more... I had learned to code first in LOGO, then basic, turbo Pascal 5.5 back then. Fortran in the university. I even took some courses for assembly! MOV, ADD etc... I hardly remember anything anymore. I only works in word, excel, project and AutoCAD really. Just a dreamer!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:28 pm

^ no need to feel sorry ;)

I have transformed a sid-based LinuxBBQ to a LinuxBBQ "stable" right now, and it seems to work. I might push it to sourceforge for download, later.
..gnutella..

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Please do! " Ti si srce! " In Serbian means "you are a heart"... Which version you transformed by the way? A bare-bone or with some wm?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:29 pm

^ I don't dare to tell you, because if I do a noX one, you'll miss a WM. If I do a WM one, you'll want it without X :)
..gnutella..

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm

hahhahhahhahaaha Don't worry! Thank you again.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:46 pm

It's a very plain and basic X with spectrwm, the 4.2 kernel (for overlayfs in live mode) and nothing else. I try to build it now...
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Okay, bad news. The live ISO does not boot, it bails out where the new mounting options for the live ISOs were integrated and falls to initramfs prompt. This is exactly the reason why Debian Jessie does not work with BBQ tools. Wheezy probably already works, but not lame-ass Jessie.
Sorry to disappoint. I also spent 4 hours to get this thing to work, but nope.
As said, install the deb packages for refractsnapshot and refractainstaller and "git clone https://github.com/linuxbbq/<the repos>" and you got it done in less than 20 minutes.
..gnutella..