[Solved]My smoothie has a few small lumps

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
dura
Compiler

[Solved]My smoothie has a few small lumps

Unread post by dura » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Enjoying the new flavours. Such amazing progress.

Unfortunately I'm having a few problems though. I've tried installing smoothie and professional +x. They both work fine in a live session but upon installation I can't get to a terminal or dmenu. Smoothie seems to freeze or x not open properly. Just a cursor but nothing else. Professional + herbstluftwm +dmenu seems to stick or something at start up too, as x loads. dmenu wont open but I can't tell if there is another problem that is preventing it from being seen. A bit of weirdness. This is an eeepc x101ch which is a bit of a weird one itself.

I'd love to get a new bbq spin on as the others I already have installed wont upgrade anymore (girlfriend borrowed this computer for a year and never updated!).

Bit of a mess but would love to get back into some tasting if anybody can advise.

Thank you roasters!
Last edited by dura on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...oh.

dkeg
Configurator

Re: My smoothie has a few small lumps

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Hello dura!

I don't know for sure, but let's see. Did you create a new user for yourself or currently using defacto. It almost sounds as if the keybinds are not hooked. If you created a new user for yourself, did you remember to copy over the .cwmrc and .xbindkeysrc? That was my first thought.

Oh, and if you're going to use the herbst, and no xbindkeys, then make sure you comment out that line in your .xinitrc so there are no keybind conflicts. That will do it too.

See if that helps. We'll go from there.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:05 pm

dura,

does Smoothie build up the wallpapaer and you got a mouse cursor, or is it just a mouse cursor and nothing else? Tried dis-/enabling compton? Edited cwmrc? Put x-terminal-emulator & in .xinitrc to get a prompt and also check if your Mod key is Alt or Super.
..gnutella..

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:26 pm

It works, I was the problem (hadn't used the wonderful setup script, just adduser). Probably a fitting return for me unfortunately...

Going to be using the machine to serve and play music, all cli based hopefully (sconsify looks quite interested for x64 heads...).

Thanks and sorry for be so thick
...oh.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:20 pm

No worries. Thick is not asking questions. Have fun

Work hard; Complain less

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:30 am

welcome back Dura! been a while, get on IRC sometime, I most likely won't be there :)
oh would you be so kind as to "mark it solved, dude" :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"