[SOLVED] Academy/bbqinstaller: mke2fs exits with error.

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
ing
Virgin

[SOLVED] Academy/bbqinstaller: mke2fs exits with error.

Unread post by ing » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi! I'm new to BBQ (posted over in the introductions a few minutes ago.) I'm pretty inexperienced with this whole thing; I've succeeded in dual-booting Windows and Ubuntu once upon a time with the graphical version of gparted and some very specific instructions. This is my first time using the parted CLI.

Scenario: I just got an old PC from a relative, and I'm trying to completely erase a drive with a Windows 7 installation. I haven't formatted it previously; is that going to give parted trouble?

I'm trying to install Academy via live usb as instructed here.
I ran

Code: Select all

sudo bbqinstaller
as directed.
The drive is 320GB. This is my best attempt, given what I've been able to read online (e.g. on ArchWiki,) for setting up the partition in parted:

(Remove existing partitions)

mklabel msdos

mkpart primary ext2 0GB 500MB // /dev/sda1 for boot
mkpart primary ext2 500MB 20GB // /dev/sda2 for OS
mkpart primary ext2 20GB -2GB // /dev/sda3 for /home
mkpart primary linux-swap(v1) -2GB 320GB // swap, to be mounted later.

set 1 boot on
quit
Then, I checked with cfdisk. Looks as expected.
I assigned the bootloader to /dev/sda.
Other assignments are done as specified above.
I read online that it was okay to mark ext2 in parted, then use ext3/ext4. I used ext4 for /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3. Not sure if that's an issue.
I didn't encrypt any drives.

Everything goes fine until /dev/sda3. When installing file system to /dev/sda3, fubar.

tune2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
Setting reserved blocks count to 10000
[ 6456.400939] EXT4-fs (sda3): mounted filesys[b]em with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

Exit due to error:  1
  See /var/log/bbqinstaller_error.log for details.
Log:

Error: Expected 2 arguments, found only 1.
Use --help to list options.

mke2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
mke2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
Usage: mke2fs (etc etc, usage from man.)
I don't really know enough to have any idea where I could have gone wrong, apart from possibilities like "I used the wrong extensions" or "I should have formatted first" or "I didn't handle the unmounting correctly" or something similarly vague. I haven't included any specs, but I can hunt them down if they'll help. Any ideas what I could try next? Any input is appreciated.
Last edited by ing on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Academy/bbqinstaller: mke2fs exits with error.

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:07 pm

hi,
actually no boot partition is needed, just use

/dev/sda1 ext4 for /
/dev/sda for grub/bootloader

and no swap or separate home as for now. you can resize an unmounted partition from a live system later.

have a try :)
..gnutella..

ing
Virgin

Unread post by ing » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:10 pm

I'll give that a go presently. In the meantime, thanks for the quick reply! I realize that Academy is beyond the "3 month" rule; I was banking entirely on the notion that the "educational" release might get a bit more support. I wasn't disappointed. ;D

ing
Virgin

Unread post by ing » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 pm

I went with your recommended partition scheme and was able to reboot into tasty meat. I'll mark as Solved. Thanks again!

dkeg
Configurator

Re: [SOLVED] Academy/bbqinstaller: mke2fs exits with error.

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:19 pm

for ideas with partitioning, generally a seperate /home will lead to more trouble than gain. Create a seperate partion for /data (or whatever you name it). Then all your www, media, github, bin, etc can go there. Then simply symlink to each indivual spin. You can set the /data partition to automount through fstab. Just create the /data directory on a fresh install for the automount to work. On my install

sudo ln -s /data/configs/bin ~/
sudo ln -s /data/configs/colors ~/
sudo ln- s /data/www ~/
sudo ln -s /data/media ~/
you get the point ...
Glad you got it sorted, good job

Work hard; Complain less

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:31 am

dkeg wrote:for ideas with partitioning, generally a seperate /home will lead to more trouble than gain. Create a seperate partion for /data (or whatever you name it). Then all your www, media, github, bin, etc can go there. Then simply symlink to each indivual spin. You can set the /data partition to automount through fstab. Just create the /data directory on a fresh install for the automount to work. On my install

sudo ln -s /data/configs/bin ~/
sudo ln -s /data/configs/colors ~/
sudo ln- s /data/www ~/
sudo ln -s /data/media ~/
you get the point ...
Glad you got it sorted, good job

This, do this now. separate home is alright if you make a different user for each spin, if you like trying out spins (distros) you will get sick of that very quickly, when you need to copy a file from one user to another which ends up only being copied with sudo then of course only being read by root, or the previous owner if you preserve the ownership.
If you don't make a separate user for each spin (plus that is confusing enough right there) you'll wonder why your config is all over the place.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ing
Virgin

Unread post by ing » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks! I'll give this a go.

I'll also be installing different spins on several different machines, so one of the top things on my present to-do list is to get my configs into a Github repo.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:46 am

Work hard; Complain less