Paardenrookvless Install

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Paardenrookvless Install

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:46 am

some notes and minor quibbles you've probably already fixed;

forgot to wipe the partition before install so ended up with a mess, my fault.

noticed that;
intaller is titled 'oyster' yet it writes 'escargot' to the distro name...8D
icon link on top panel seems to not have terminal (IW and pluma are there) np
acyl doesn't seem to work, from the menu...
num lock is on by default - annoying for a laptop.
is the new black screen on boot console-setup? i think somethings not working well on the boot up, but can't see anything, takes ages, and on the liveusb i had some dhcp thing complaing about port 67?

thanks for this MATE 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Paardenrookvless Install

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:51 am

Thank you for your feedback.

The issue name (Escargot) and installer name (Oyster) are the releases they derive from. Paardenrookvlees was built on an Escargot base, and the Installer was introduced with the Oyster release.

The ACYL link doesn't work from the menu, because it can't call one configurator tool for two different ACYL themes. You can safely remove the entry by right-clicking on the Menu icon, Edit Menu, and there removing (or changing) the entries.

The "numlock on" is a MATE default - personally, I haven't turned on numlock for the remaster. For the next release I will remove the automatic NumLock on.

Try the second or third entry in the Live Boot menu. I had to implement different uvesa and vga settings for all kinds of older and newer hardware; or you can remove the entry 'quiet' and change it to 'verbose' to get more output.
If you have already installed Paardenrookvlees and you don't use DHCP (it was included to make sure that DHCP users get a working network connection at startup), you can remove 'dhcpd' or use Ceni or Network Manager to change from DHCP to Manual IP. That's the 'Error on Port 67' -- the computer is waiting for an IP address assigned by the router. When DHCP was not added, many users complained they didn't have an automatic network connection. It's hard to please everyone :)
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:47 am

machinebacon wrote:Thank you for your feedback.
No problem, a pleasure. thanks for the support.
machinebacon wrote: The issue name (Escargot) and installer name (Oyster) are the releases they derive from. Paardenrookvlees was built on an Escargot base, and the Installer was introduced with the Oyster release.
OK I just got confused (very easily done) 8)
machinebacon wrote: The ACYL link doesn't work from the menu, because it can't call one configurator tool for two different ACYL themes. You can safely remove the entry by right-clicking on the Menu icon, Edit Menu, and there removing (or changing) the entries.
Ok. i haven't had much luck, or tried very hard with acyl.. (see above)
machinebacon wrote: The "numlock on" is a MATE default - personally, I haven't turned on numlock for the remaster. For the next release I will remove the automatic NumLock on.
on = annoying for laptops - off = annoying for desktop (105 keys) 8)

better than wondering 'hmm what's coleman Click?' when i was configuring the keyboard. Then wondering why login doesn't work, then another hour carefully translating coleman to GB so my password worked 8)
machinebacon wrote: Try the second or third entry in the Live Boot menu. I had to implement different uvesa and vga settings for all kinds of older and newer hardware; or you can remove the entry 'quiet' and change it to 'verbose' to get more output.
I'll try that - i quite like the wall of text console output.
machinebacon wrote: If you have already installed Paardenrookvlees and you don't use DHCP (it was included to make sure that DHCP users get a working network connection at startup), you can remove 'dhcpd' or use Ceni or Network Manager to change from DHCP to Manual IP. That's the 'Error on Port 67' -- the computer is waiting for an IP address assigned by the router. When DHCP was not added, many users complained they didn't have an automatic network connection. It's hard to please everyone :)
i think i am using dhcp - i think i can assign 'static' ips on my subnet..

if anyone's gonna please all of the people all of the time it'll be MachineBacon 8)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:06 am

Move the /usr/share/icons/ACYL folder (!) into your user's icons: ~/.icons/

Edit the file ~/.icons/ACYL/AnyColorYouLike

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd ~/.icons/ACYL/scalable/scripts/
exec ~/.icons/ACYL/scalable/scripts/script_gui.py $@
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:40 pm

^ did that - no joy
i get the window up and start changing things, but i get this.

Code: Select all

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: './current_state/gui_config.ini'
Can't remove ./preview_icons/actions.svg: Permission denied, skipping file.
Can't remove ./preview_icons/apps.svg: Permission denied, skipping file.
Can't remove ./preview_icons/emblems.svg: Permission denied, skipping file.
Traceback (most recent call last):
running as root, isn't much help.

dont worry, told i dont have much luck with these.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:42 pm

You can simply download the original ACYL installer and try with that, it is the same (actually I wanted to keep the tarball in downloads but didn't talk with the guy who wrote it)

http://pobtott.deviantart.com/art/Any-C ... -175624910

Or of course install a 'real" icon theme from the repos. As said, this is MATE base to produce your own spin (bbqsnapshot) so it is ought to be customized to your likings ;)

A bloke on youtube posted a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiAOL_YAI9M
Start at 1:45 or so
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:43 pm

^ you are a legend 8)
will try that cheers

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:33 pm

about removing dhcpd?
it does stall at that point.
remember i am a bit thick..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm positive that dhcpd is not installed by default :)
There are two ways to get rid of DHCPDISCOVER:
1) let Ceni manage the connections -> sudo ceni -> remove configuration -> reconfigure the adapter -> Static IP -> fill in all fields -> finished
2) let NM manage the connection -> remove the Wired Connections in nm-applet -> Create a new one -> Set it to IPv4 or IPv6 Manual -> fill in all fields -> finished
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:52 pm

thanks! 8)