urxvt tabbedex not working

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Snap
Sperminator

urxvt tabbedex not working

Unread post by Snap » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:49 am

tabbed works just fine, but switching to tabbedex doesn't work at all. The default keysyms do nothing and trying to add new ones doesn't work either. AFAIK it only takes replacing:

Code: Select all

URxvt.perl-ext-common: 		clipboard,default,matcher,tabbed
for

Code: Select all

URxvt.perl-ext-common: 		clipboard,default,matcher,tabbedex
Am I missing any additional step, config or something here?

Thanks.

dkeg
Configurator

Re: urxvt tabbedex not working

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Any error output? Any required perl libs? I've never used or heard of it, so probably shouldn't even be chiming in

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Have you used tabbedex with Debian before? Does a "locate" search for "tabbedex" show you where it is? (it should be in /usr/lib/urxvt/perl).

It's an AUR package on ARCH, which makes me think it's not in the standard repo. You may need to build it yourself.

But I don't use it, so I might be wrong. What special functionality do you need from tabbedex?

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:29 pm

/unhelpful yeah - whats wrong with using terminator? :p
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:12 pm

tabbedex is in the correct location. It came along with the rest of the perls while installing rxvt-unicode-256color, so it must be coming from the repos. Why wanting to use it? well, that bad habit of trying everything, also finding what's those "advanced" features it has to offer compared with the old tabbed.

@wux. a zillion dependencies? LOL. naah, I want to stick to urxvt and tmux. I'm in the process of discovering/learning all the urxvt features and chossing what to use and what not. Same for tmux. I'm still a BBQ noob coming from the full GUI-land. Or in other words, trying to forget old bad habits and re-learning Linux a better way... or something like that.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:02 pm

OK then I got nothing. I've never used tabs in urxvt, and probably never will. tmux does everything I need.

If you want to "learn Linux a better way" forget extensions and just learn the basic functionality of your tools. You may find they do everything you really need. Just my opinion, of course.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:27 pm

^ I second that Pidsley, but of course, it is a free world Snap :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Can't avoid exploring, folks.

tabbed does a great job and covers my tabbing addtion pretty well. IMHO, tabbing saves windows. it's cleaner and they fit my workflow/habits. Also more than three panes in tmux starts to look like a ratnest. That's when tabs come in handy. Just wanted to know what tabbedex's "advanced tabbing" means. but who cares. tabbed is it.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:54 pm

tmux can also create as many new windows as you need (not just panes, but complete new windows), and you can switch any tmux pane into and out of full-screen mode any time.

I'm not saying you should stop exploring, but that you explore the features of your existing tools (go deeper, not wider.) But it's your system.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:04 am

once snap has explored the depths of tmux.conf he doesn't need tabbedex or any other "enhancements" anymore. Heck, even GNU screen or byobu can do "tabs" by default :)
..gnutella..

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:20 am

Still pretty green on tmux. Too many things to learn at once. I'm kinda overflooded, guys. Want to learn it all; tmux, urvxt, vim, cwm, swm, lemmonbar, wmutils, using funtions, improve my dmenu skills, becoming somewhat comfortable into the framebuffer and dtvm, improve my ssh habits, learn bash scripting, wanna learn python too... Finding the grill is fascinating and overwhelming. It's all new to me. Like discovering a whole new continent in my planet. Bear with me for a while. I'm struggling to get familiar with all this shit ;)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:37 am

the good thing is: once you know how to tmux, you will be able to multi-task in framebuffer/tty. no tabbedex there ;D
..gnutella..

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:29 pm

^^ You can steal someone's config from the tmux.conf thread, then learn how to create and delete tmux windows. That's two keybindings; enough to get started and not waste urxvt windows.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Yes, tmux is a useful tool. The basics are, well, pretty basic. That is all I do with it. Its like git, so much power, but I just do the basics. Like having a ferrari, and only using it for commuting.

Anyway, I think the default keybind is c-b, but can be changed, which I did to c-a. For a new window, c-a-c; to split vertical is c-a-v; split horizontal is c-a-h. If you need to log out and back in, tmux attach. You can name your sessions etc, but I never go that far.

Like MB and Kex point out, there are some tmux.conf around. Enjoy!

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:28 pm

take it easy Snap. one thing at a time, enjoy it, have fun, break some shit, fix it again, or throw it in the dumpster. you'll learn, just stick around and keep experimenting :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11 pm

^ totally tmux is immeasurably useful if you have an uninterrupted session with multiple screens on, I have my server's tmux session nested inside my work tmux's windows.
tmux scrollback search? excellent for finding that apt message a while ago which may or may not have broken the server...
In that mode allows visual copypasting without mouse in the framebuffer (only amongst tmux sessions)

personally find it a little bit pointless in i3wm, for example.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:40 am

^ less /var/log/apt/history.log

tmux is bloat haha
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:40 am

kexolino wrote:^^ You can steal someone's config from the tmux.conf thread, then learn how to create and delete tmux windows. That's two keybindings; enough to get started and not waste urxvt windows.
or take the ones from /usr/share/doc/tmux/examples/

:)
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:25 am

machinebacon wrote:^ less /var/log/apt/history.log

tmux is bloat haha
good point :)
better example is my badly crafted mysql queries which I then search.

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:07 am

yeah, I'm at the stage of finding somewhat ergonomic keybindings in urxvt and tmux that don't step every other toes when running programs inside them and are not stolen by the WM. I guess once you are done with it you can use it forever.
take it easy Snap. one thing at a time
Wish I could. I see dazzling flashing lights all around me! LOL.