Any cli player doing m4a? [Solved]

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Snap
Sperminator

Re: Any cli player doing m4a?

Unread post by Snap » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:51 am

I've purged mplayer and ffmpeg and reinstalled ffmpeg. All good now. Downloaded some files from the site posted by bacon above and m4a is finally working. Thanks, guys.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:55 am

^ Good to know. Mark it solved, please.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:01 pm

Just a FYI: I have no ffmpeg (and libav-tools) installed and it works OOTB with the mentioned players. There was some chaos about libav-tools being dropped in Debian 7 and/or 8, then people started to add these using the unofficial multimedia repos, now it is back in Debian under the name of ffmpeg. Maybe OP could show the output of:

policy libav-tools
policy ffmpeg

mplayer/mpv/vlc pull in libavcodec-ffmpeg56 , which IMO is the codec that should be used by these players.

Wait a moment. You said deadbeef plays the files? Deadbeef is not in the repos, so you must have added it from an external source? From where if I may ask?

This might explain why ffmpeg doesn't work for other frontends. With purging and reinstalling you replaced the debian-multimedia ffmpeg with the one from unstable, I guess. Probably deadbeef won't play much anymore now. No idea. It's already a mess. deadbeef won't work with the libav versions from the repos (because there are none), it would grab them from debian-multimedia. Pffffff....

Topic closed, I suppose.
..gnutella..

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:47 pm

Oh, dear. so it's that. Lesson learnt. Thanks, bacon.