Any cli player doing m4a? [Solved]

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Snap
Sperminator

Any cli player doing m4a? [Solved]

Unread post by Snap » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:45 pm

^ that. People are sending me these things over the cellphone.
Last edited by Snap on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: Any cli player doing m4a?

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:57 pm

I think moc can do it. You probably need ffmpeg and moc-ffmpeg-plugin, IIRC.

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Perhaps try cmus?
https://cmus.github.io/

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Or, for the sake of your beard, just convert them to mp3s:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# m4a2mp3: convert m4a files in the working directory to mp3 320kbps
for FILE in *.m4a ; do
    ffmpeg -i "$FILE" -f mp3 -ab 320000 "`basename "$FILE" .m4a`.mp3" || break;
done
;-)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:13 am

well, mplayer/mpv/cvlc are CLI players, too, they should definitely be able to play m4a. Guess it's ffmpeg that can play them.
..gnutella..

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:53 am

None of those programs do it. That's why I'm asking. Tried them all (with the ffmpeg plugins). I haven't tried mpd, but I don't like it that much. I can play m4a with GUI apps like deadbeef, but haven't found a way within the cli yet. Thankfully they all do AIFF. Most of my CDs collection is AIFF converted during my Mac days.

@GekkoP: Yes, you're right. Converting a shitty lossy format to another shitty lossy format is never a good idea, but it's all poor quality shit to beggin with so, who cares about a bit more crap.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:29 am

^ not even mpv? It should be able to play (almost) anything.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:51 am

1) Downloaded an m4a file from http://download.wavetlan.com/SVV/Media/ ... tp-aac.htm
2) played with mplayer, mpv, mocp just fine

seems that the m4a files others send use some other audio format. What does DEADBEEF say about the file properties? What error messages do mpv, mplayer, mocp throw?
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:56 am

^ Thanks for testing. I remember I had some .m4a I could play with mocp.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:00 am

Forgot to add: cmus doesn't play it.

And Snap, it's mpV not mpD.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:36 am

sorry we had to have bacon test it first: i've been playing m4a with moc without issue. Snap, if moc doesn't play it in your case, you should look at plugins, i suppose. but afaik i haven't installed anything *that* special, just probably general moc and whatever apt pulls in as standard additions, and it just works.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

daggoth
runs Stable

Unread post by daggoth » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Code: Select all

ffplay -nodisp -loglevel quiet  somemusic.m4a

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:23 pm

^ wow, didn't know about ffplay. Cool daggoth, thanks!
Snap, confirmed m4a players on my end ...
  • cmus (I have also cmus-plugin-ffmpeg)
    mpv
    ffplay
I also have a convert script that I've used in the past.

Work hard; Complain less

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Oops. too late. I've converted everything to mp3. I'll do some tests later and check the errors. I should be missing some codec or something.

You forgot the play command from sox, folks. but the formats listed doesn't include m4a. Anyway, it's another nice CLI player and recorder.
And Snap, it's mpV not mpD
I meant music player daemon, not mpv. ;)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:12 pm

You're welcome.
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Snap, you came here with a question, looking for help with your m4a files. Many of us chimed in, with a quickness I might add, to offer solutions. The response from you was defensive, and quite rude. Obviously you had not tried hard enough, b/c, well, they do in fact work. Wasting other members' time and showing no gratitude, a simple thank you goes very far, does not bode well for help in the future. It's getting difficult to continually welcome you when you come back with snarky responses. I've looked back through our responses, and we have been nothing but supportive and welcoming. Rotten Meat is next. And sorry, fuckin emoticons don't do it for me. We're all adults here, please act like it.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks dkeg, that's what i thought, too.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:08 pm

M4a's under Debian is no problem. Most of the little CLI players use ffmpeg or libav and it should play them. If you use some of the heavier GUI players then it uses GStreamer, probably gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad. In this case you certainly have to add the codec.

VLC, Deadbeef, mpv, mplayer and mpd are just doing fine with m4a through ffmpeg or libav.

Personally I prefer the ffmpeg back end.

Cmus needs cmus-plugin-ffmpeg and moc needs moc-ffmpeg-plugin because by default they are not able to play Apple's format.

One thing more. You said it is on Android? There is a special codec there, Android VisualOn (AAC again), you could try with:

https://packages.debian.org/en/sid/liba ... eg-extra56

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:51 am

dkeg wrote:Snap, you came here with a question, looking for help with your m4a files. Many of us chimed in, with a quickness I might add, to offer solutions. The response from you was defensive, and quite rude. Obviously you had not tried hard enough, b/c, well, they do in fact work. Wasting other members' time and showing no gratitude, a simple thank you goes very far, does not bode well for help in the future. It's getting difficult to continually welcome you when you come back with snarky responses. I've looked back through our responses, and we have been nothing but supportive and welcoming. Rotten Meat is next. And sorry, fuckin emoticons don't do it for me. We're all adults here, please act like it.
Defensive? That was not my intention at all. Sorry if I offended anyone. Rude, well, I was told that before in forums, Again, never my intention, but it seems my english always sound rude to native spoken people. Apologies for that too.

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:03 am

M4a's under Debian is no problem. Most of the little CLI players use ffmpeg or libav and it should play them. If you use some of the heavier GUI players then it uses GStreamer, probably gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad. In this case you certainly have to add the codec.

VLC, Deadbeef, mpv, mplayer and mpd are just doing fine with m4a through ffmpeg or libav.
Thanks, Ivanov. I'm using ffmpeg, so I guess I must be missing some package. I'll check what I have in. The curious part is that mplayer, mpv and deadbeef all use the same backend but only deadbeef is playing them. Gonna do some tests.
One thing more. You said it is on Android? There is a special codec there, Android VisualOn (AAC again), you could try with:
No Android yet. I have an old Blackberry almost falling apart needing a replacement. I'l put that codec on my notes. Thanks.