polkit in Greatest Hits

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
denethor
Oyster-Slurper

polkit in Greatest Hits

Unread post by denethor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Alas, I have problems trying to keep systemd outside the system.... Fucking policykit-1 dependencies! I have installed a minimal LXDE. Which of the two possible solutions shouId I follow (although I am not very happy using any of those repos):
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.p ... stallation
or http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.p ... stallation
The first uses repos from devuan, the second from wheezy... Both seem like future trouble, but a man cannot live without policykit-1.
Any suggestions based on actual experience is highly appreciated!
Last edited by pidsley on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: moved from release notes

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: RYO: Greatest Hits (586) Release Notes

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:40 pm

May I ask the other way round:

why do *you* (not a certain piece of software) need pkit? Not bitching at you, just trying to understand your use case.
..gnutella..

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

polkit in Greatest Hits

Unread post by denethor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:13 pm

MB, I do not need it at all, but I want to be able to suspend, reboot and shutdown from the LXDE's exit menu. I also want to use gvfs from pcmanfm etc. So it seems to me that I do need it... Not to mention a stupid error message about PID whenever I login!

pidsley
Hermit

Re: RYO: Greatest Hits (586) Release Notes

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:00 pm

denethor wrote:a man cannot live without policykit-1.

Code: Select all

gadget:~ $ apt-cache policy policykit-1
policykit-1:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.105-3
  Version table:
     0.105-3 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
Fuck me, I'm dead.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Re: Re: RYO: Greatest Hits (586) Release Notes

Unread post by simgin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:16 pm

^That.

Edit: Ahh here the thread ended, apparently moved. And now I forgot what I wanted to comment :/
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Re: polkit in Greatest Hits

Unread post by denethor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:25 pm

good thinking pidsley for moving this in a separate thread. I hope someone who tested these repos has an anwser to this. If not, I'll go for the devuan repo... simgin maybe you had a suggestion?

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:47 pm

My suggestion: try something. If it works, write a how-to so others can benefit. If it doesn't work, try something else. You will learn something either way.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:05 am

denethor, you just said that the devuan repo was not sufficient, and now you want to go back to it? Am I missing something? Please enlighten me/us.

cheerio
simon

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:33 am

I said that both ways are not without future trouble probably. Didn't try any of those yet. But the devuan repo seems a bit safer way to go. I'll report back when I find the time to try it.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:10 am

If you want to use polkit without systemd, i suggest you run gentoo/funtoo, slackware, or any of the bsd variant. The amount of work for maintaining (patching, testing, etc) something as systemd-dependent as polkit, gvfs, udisks2 and co is monstrous, it's possible but highly impractical.

Once you figure out that what you basically ever need in polkit is already covered by simpler, non monstrous stuff, the sun will shine brighter and the meat juicier.
rice no more.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:12 am

Thank you frank. You are more tactful than I am :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:52 pm

denethor wrote:MB, I do not need it at all, but I want to be able to suspend, reboot and shutdown from the LXDE's exit menu. I also want to use gvfs from pcmanfm etc. So it seems to me that I do need it... Not to mention a stupid error message about PID whenever I login!
You can create custom entries in lxmenu to point at existing scripts that do exactly what you want:

- sudo /sbin/poweroff
- sudo /sbin/reboot
- sudo pm-suspend
- sudo /usr/local/bin/automount (replaces the largest parts of gvfs)

Edit /etc/fstab for a more refined selection of network mounts.
(If you don't like these, you can still go with "disk-manager" instead of automount.)

They all don't need root access (just the "sudo" in front) and they definitely don't need policykit. It's not like you want policykit because it is such a beautiful application - you want software X that depends on it (gvfs is the shithole here). Policykit is there to manage elevated rights on per-user basis, and later exactly these users edit the polkit-rules to make the "Enter your password" popups disappear. So theeeeese people (the real man, as you say), install gvfs to have one-click-on-icon convenience and policykit to have additional security on their single-user machine, just to later edit the safety option out again (because "it is cumbersome to enter my password again and again")

I hope you know what I mean ;)

By the way, I lost my dick, too - no polkit on my BBQs.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:41 pm

franksinistra wrote: Once you figure out that what you basically ever need in polkit is already covered by simpler, non monstrous stuff, the sun will shine brighter and the meat juicier.
Exactly. That is the number 1 reason we are here at the grill.

Great suggestion by Bacon. Most of us do that.

Denethor, may I suggest you install systemd-shim and forget about it. It will do everything you want without using systemd but emulate its behavior, so a little piece of it has to be installed on your system but you can happily use sysvinit and have automount and whatnot.

I would not add shit from Devuan and friends. What you want is basically someone who holds your hand. Not gonna happen without polkit and systemd.

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:56 pm

ivanovnegro thank you. I was afraid that by installing shim and systemd, will make systemd my init system, which did not happen. I only have to try making the iso, after some more tweaking... I hope by just being installed (systemd) it will not create problems (MB said we are on our own! if we install it).

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:10 am

Sorry, maybe you should read what shim actually does, it has already been mentioned in this thread.
I will leave this thread.

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:50 am

Same here Julius good old Kocsonya without with no evil systemad opps I mean systemd on it and no policykit and I just mount my flashdrives manually
eg. (Issue Su or use sudo - I use SU I'm so old fashioned) then

Code: Select all

mount/sdb1 /mnt                  
or you could use this Antix graphical tool
http://antix.daveserver.info/testing/po ... box-antix/

Gtkdialog dependency:
http://antix.daveserver.info/testing/po ... gtkdialog/

Having flashdrives mount at boot on an old machine just slows it down in my book anyway my 2 cents worth "Keep it simple Horace".:)
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:23 am

denethor wrote:ivanovnegro thank you. I was afraid that by installing shim and systemd, will make systemd my init system, which did not happen. I only have to try making the iso, after some more tweaking... I hope by just being installed (systemd) it will not create problems (MB said we are on our own! if we install it).
If systemd is the init (pid 1), you need live-config-systemd which will remove live-config-sysvinit. If systemd is intalled but not the init, you simply keep live-config-sysvinit. If openrc is your init, you keep live-config-sysvinit for the live session. If upstart is your init, you install live-config-upstart ;)

And yes, you probably get zero support from the BBQ community for systemd-related questions because most of us either don't use it as pid 1 or try to avoid it. The Live ISO is using sysvinit as init, installing systemd will create entries in GRUB to boot syvinit or systemd, but the remastered ISO will use sysvinit, and this might not be compatible with a systemd setup if you don't install live-config-systemd.

If you check support posts, they are not about "how can I write a script that automatically does X and Y" -- they are about fucking systemd. Supporting this shit eats up our spare time which we could otherwise use to relax, read a book, masturbate, eat, smoke. That's why I said you are on your own if you install systemd. Example: http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2404 -- I don't want to do this every time somebody installs systemd bloat: http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.p ... 829#p49829
..gnutella..

denethor
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by denethor » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:51 am

Thanks for clarifying. I understand you. I think there will be no troubles, but I'll confirm when I create and try the ISO.