Unable to Install BORK!/Break inside a VM setting

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
BornHanged
Troll

Unable to Install BORK!/Break inside a VM setting

Unread post by BornHanged » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:02 am

Hello! I'm new to the whole BBQLinux scene and I thought i'd give BORK! or Break a try in a VM setting to test it out, since I like OpenBox. The issue is that i'm unable to install it within a VM setting for some reason. VirtualBox gives me the message "No Bootable Medium Found!" after I run the installer and remove the ISO. Any idea how I can get this up and running? Thanks!

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Unable to Install BORK!/Break inside a VM setting

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:17 am

Read the forum rules. Unfortunately for you, we do not support VM's. With that said, Snap, our resident VM proctor, may have some helpful advice to pass along.

Work hard; Complain less

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:42 am

^ That!
BornHanged, just above your first post, there is a header that maticulates exactly that we do not support VMs.
But your in luck, as dkeg said, Snap has taught himself how to do it well.
Please read the info arround you.
Btw, in this forum people must introduce them selves first.

cheerio
simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:42 am

What's your setup? Your disk format (qcow? vmdk? Raw image?), Settings? I too run a few of bbq spin in many kinds of vm (parallels, vmware, virtbox, kvm). Never experienced something like this. Either your virtual disk is damaged or you forgot to install grub i think.

And as what dkeg and simon said, linuxbbq doesn't support installation on a vm. So you're on your own.
rice no more.

BornHanged
Troll

Unread post by BornHanged » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:47 am

Oops! I didn't even look to see the big banner above the post; yikes that's embarrassing! If anything I appreciate the speedy response! I'll test it out on one of my old OptiPlex's then :)

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:03 am

^ We are quick here, trust me ;)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:59 am

Somthing went wrong during your install. Try again. An intro thread would be nice, it is cosidered as common courtesy in this remote corner of the web. How else could we continue calling ourself civilised humans? ;)

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2343
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:42 pm

Some kernel versions and revisions (3.19, 3.20, 4.0) simply do not work in VirtualBox, no idea about other virtual machines. One thing you should make definitely clear is that GRUB is installed to /dev/sda (not /dev/sda1) for example. IIRC there are a handful of people who managed to install BORK! and also BREAK! in VirtualBox. I am quite positive that recent releases do work in VirtualBox though - because I tested them :)
..gnutella..

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:18 am

IIRC, Bork (and Cardboard) come with the 4.0 kernel. you need to replace the kernel first thing after booting. Otherwise the Xserver won't boot. Login as root, add a newer kernel. reboot and then proceed as usual; change root's password, create a new user, etc...

I haven't found any issues with the jessie kernel in VBox. Maybe your isos are wrong. If your bandwidth is low, try downloading them with wget -c . Like franksinistra previously said, it sounds more like a faulty install (or iso) more than a kernel compatibility issue. You can boot and live without Grub or any other bootloader. It works if you don't need dual booting (anyone dualbooting a virtual machine?) but I don't remember from the top of my head how to do it. Anyway, Grub uses to make your virtual life easier.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:19 am

Some people 'accidentally' install grub onto a partition (eg. /dev/sda1) which leads to an unbootable machine. Another option would be using syslinux as bootloader, just like on a live ISO. "No bootable medium found" sounds clearly like a bootloader issue. However, if this issue would be solved, it could probably still happen that the kernel doesn't boot in Vbox. No idea, I can try a Vbox installation of BREAK! next week for fun.
..gnutella..

BornHanged
Troll

Unread post by BornHanged » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Sorry for the incredibly late replies, but as far as i'm aware when I set up my VM's through VirtualBox it's always one partition, which I believe is /dev/sda, which is where i told the installer to put the GRUB and the installation. I could try to download it again and see!:)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:00 pm

GRUB at /dev/sda ok. But installation at /dev/sda1.
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:08 am

^This.

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Victory! works in VirtualBox

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:52 am

simgin wrote: Btw, in this forum people must introduce them selves first.
Just to be clear: there is no "must" at the BBQ. you should do whatever the fuck you want. however, that also means there is no "must" from the other side. in other words, you have no obligation to be nice to us, but we also don't have an obligation to be nice to you. but perhaps if you *are* nice, we will be too :D

And as Vic noted:
vic wrote:An intro thread would be nice, it is cosidered as common courtesy in this remote corner of the web. How else could we continue calling ourself civilised humans? ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.