Was having problems upgrading. Md5 and Sha mismatches etc.

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
bizcuit
Gangbanger

Was having problems upgrading. Md5 and Sha mismatches etc.

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 am

Recently started having major apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade butt pains in Trollinger. With md5 and Sha mismatches and the good ole error message. Some files failed to download. They have been ignored or older ones used.

For me ... fix turned out to be editing the bbq.list in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bbq.list file.

Went to the Debian mirrors site ... here. Found a mirror near my location and commented out the Debian repos that were already in bbq.list, added the following.

## debian
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

After doing an apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade seems everything is ok now. No errors and it went smoothly.
Note: If you find yourself needing to do this too. Obviously select a mirror near you and pay attention to the info beside each mirror location. As it will tell you which architectures that mirror supports. All of them have amd64 listed and looks like most other arch's as well. Just being overly cautious in mentioning that. Shrugs.
Good gawd beginning to think the Nix gawds have shunned me with all the recent pita and time dumps trying to get this laptop nixified ! D: No ... I repent Linux gawds, do not smite me further !!!

Vll! :P

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Was having problems upgrading. Md5 and Sha mismatches et

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:18 am

In threes biz, or fours....ha.

I have heards this before. I have not had the issue, however it does hang there for a bit like it's having trouble connecting. Just haven't gotten around to changing it.

But now sir you have motivated me. I'm going to try it tonight.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:48 am

Known problem since Debian has changed to what we could call an automagic "mirror-select" PITA. Depending on your location you might get an utterly outdated mirror, checksum mismatches, faulty index files, etc.

Can't do anything about it, and surely not a "Trollinger butt-pain", if you check the internet for similar/same problems.
..gnutella..

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:04 pm

^ Don't doubt it, definitely isn't a criticism of you or the distro. Really liking Trollinger ...

VlLBBQ! :)

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:21 pm

made the change last night. Now when I do my updates it no longer sputters at http://http.debian.org. In Kielbasa this is in

Code: Select all

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list

Work hard; Complain less

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39 pm

^ Awesome Dkeg ... Glad it worked out.
Painfully all over the place and off-topic babble 2 follow ...

@Machine ... reason mentioned Trollinger in the OP again ... wasn't a slight. Figured config files would be diff, across bbq releases. All the butt pains and time dumps you'll be seeing me bytch about are nothing to do with Linux bbq, your skillz have saved me much time and many butt pains. Expected nothing less and should've come here 1st anyway.

All bytching + griping is to be directed at life in general. Between working a conventional job ( dammit !) and being out of my depth with a new laptop. Trusty ole 10yr old desktop was/is a walk in the park. Never had to worry about wifi config + quad-core this +amd ati radeon that + 32bit vs 64bit etc. etc. etc.

Aka: Outside bizcuits comfortzone ! Catching on ... almost there, though of course took ALOT of friggin reading + googling ... While watching the clock spin like a dam slot machine. Ok ... just a clarification kinda thing and more bytching.

DAMMIT ! When are they gonna invent a real life Matrix thingamajig !??!?! Ya wanna learn to fly a helicopter ... Close eyes, run program and you're good. I mean come on it's friggin 2013 scientists, stop being lazy and invent stuff so I can be even lazier and not have to invest any effort in learning new things ! :P

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 am

^ There is this Google Glasses.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:13 am

^ Thanks Sir Ivan ... also thanks for that handy Firefox thread ... Went ahead and used it to set Firefox as default browser in Trollinger mi amigo. ;)

Vll! as always ...