Console-Kit vs systemd.logind

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
dkeg
Configurator

Console-Kit vs systemd.logind

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 pm

hey gang, I'm a bit confused on this. I've read that console-kit is no longer supported and eventually replaced with systemd.logind. Oddly enough, I noticed I have both running.

I get mixed feedback for disabling it, that some things may still need CK. Any thoughts or knowledge to pass on with this? I have since just moved it out to test, so if need be can just replace

Code: Select all

sudo mv /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.service ~/temp/
so far so good. Would be interested to hear from you guys though. I'm running Kielbasa.

*EDIT - so at that point I had rebooted and console-kit was not running, but when I just powered up again, it was back. ??
Looked again and found in

Code: Select all

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/
is ConsoleKit.conf. I renamed and rebooted.

console Kit is not running at this time.

thanks

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Console-Kit vs systemd.logind

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:09 am

Good point, Drew.

This had to happen at some point of time, when Debian finally adopts all services. If you are using a display manager it will probably automatically start consolekit to manage permissions. So, to go "full-natively" with systemd.login, you should/could disable/remove your DM (LightDM I guess) and start the session via tty. That both were started had probably to do with the situation that LightDM called consolekit (before you moved the service file to /temp)

We will see how things evolve and then, in future versions, find a solution - rhowaldt and I had had ideas about writing a kind of "no-X login manager" (those days for Oyster) and as soon as systemd is fully ported to Debian, we might start working on it to provide as little dependencies as possible with the same functionality as a DM. This would generally fit into the BBQ scheme: provide the necessary basic BBQapplications with low dependencies (like roaster, spatula, bbqradio, etc etc)

Greetings!
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 am

bacon is probably right on this. on my Boner i am pretty sure i don't have consolekit, and everything works fine. there i use startx for logging in, no DM installed. so i think that confirms what was just said.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:29 pm

I'll disable Console-Kit too, following the dkeg instructions.
Then to get a sort of 'cb-exit', I need to use systemd in this: https://gist.github.com/jonyamo/5675359

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:45 pm

I just purge it now. keep in mind you can also just reboot, suspend, etc right from terminal, and set aliases for simplification. you can tie suspend to i3lock as well. IIRC, bbq has pre-set aliases for this. check out .bash_aliases

Work hard; Complain less

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:47 pm

oh yes, I'm doing it for the terminal at the moment. Just for the sake of tinkering I'd like to make that i3-exit work :)

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:36 pm

@mb – qingy login manager ?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:47 am

^what's with it?
..gnutella..

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:45 am

It's a no-X login manager

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:55 am

I do know about it, but ... what should I do with it? We have our own wmchooser.
..gnutella..

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:00 am

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't understand it (I am a n00b compared to you guys), I thought you were looking for a no-X login manager:
rhowaldt and I had had ideas about writing a kind of "no-X login manager" (those days for Oyster) and as soon as systemd is fully ported to Debian, we might start working on it

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:11 am

I know about Qingy as I used it for 1 day back on the FB-sid build. Ugly little thing. I hate it. Defaults to a GIANT ANT all up in where I should drop into tty1. I'm sure you can "rice it out" to look nice, but for what is essentially a middleman between me and getting stuff done, I don't see any purpose.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:28 am

^ and it didn't work very well with systemd, at least i couldn't be bothered to make it work.
i dont think it handles the suspend on lid down functions i generally look for in a DM. (TBH i don't understand why a DM should do that)
for me if a DM (text or whatever) makes it suspend on lid down that's great, otherwise just logging into a tty seems to work pretty nice.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:26 am

Potatohead wrote:I'm sorry, maybe I didn't understand it (I am a n00b compared to you guys), I thought you were looking for a no-X login manager:
rhowaldt and I had had ideas about writing a kind of "no-X login manager" (those days for Oyster) and as soon as systemd is fully ported to Debian, we might start working on it
It's written already. The quoted post is from February, and our wmchooser was introduced in July.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:16 pm

^ we are *that* fast. actually, baconface is. i only built the initial framework in python+ncurses, and i believe bacon rewrote it completely in bash+something-something. iirc.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:26 pm

^ Yes, it's written in PensiPascal.
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:48 pm

rhowaldt wrote:^ we are *that* fast. actually.
I'm sure your girlfriend tells you this all of the time. ;)
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:14 pm

^ you are so funny DJ, i might die laughing one sweet day. to be honest, she usually tells me 'hurry up already, i got other shit to do'.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:26 pm

^ sex with rho, and other shit ;) :)
..gnutella..