JWM Config Problems (solved)

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

JWM Config Problems (solved)

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:25 am

2016103014778696321280x800.png
2016103014778690971280x800.png
I'm customizing jwm using pidsley's config- which is beautiful, btw!- but I decided I wanted that panel down there with a volumeicon, so I went to work.
Yeppers. I went to work. Ugh.
I had no problem fixing the menu to use xterm and nano over urvxte and vim, and added torbrowser as my default www.
I even added a background. At least I thought I did.
All I thought I had to do was comment in the tray and add a swallow for the volumeicon.
Then I ran "jwm -p"
I cannot figure out how to fix this. I thought I knew what "open" and "close" tags meant.
I can't seem to find what it's complaining about, though.
Also- no clock.
And where did I mess up the background?
Help?
Last edited by ivanovnegro on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: marked solved
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

pidsley
Hermit

Re: JWM Config Problems

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:26 am

^ This is why many people hate XML config files. From your scrot I can see you are missing a </Swallow> after your xload section. I have no idea how to make volumeicon work with jwm, but this might help.

Also, post the output of this command please:

Code: Select all

cat ~/.jwmrc | curl -F 'sprunge=<-' http://sprunge.us

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:57 am

Thank you, pidsley :)
I went online and straightened out the syntax.
The output for that script was: http://sprunge.us/LEBW
I have no idea what that means, except that it seems to be a pastebin app.
I still have no answer for the volume icon. When I tried "volumeicon" from the cli it hung. To check this out I typed in "cryptkeeper" and it also hung- no icon in the panel.
Could it be there just isn't room there for it?
I thought I had figured out the wallpaper- a direct copy-paste from another config- but it still didn't work. I think the #! link from the jwm page had an alternate method, so I'm going to check that out.
Sorry so late getting back, but for a while I couldn't reach the site. In fact, I was trying to post a reply to you- actually submitting it- when you guys went away, lols!
*EDIT* Now I see what that script did! That is pretty cool! :)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:52 am

^ Sorry, I should have explained that code -- yes, it's a pastebin tool so I could see your entire .jwmrc.

I can't make the <Background> tags work either. If you don't care if the desktop backgrounds aren't different for each desktop, you can just use feh, nitrogen, or hsetroot to set the image, either in your .xinitrc or in the startup section of the .jwmrc. If you want them different for each desktop, I'm not sure.

To get volumeicon on the taskbar, you need a dock. Add this code to the taskbar section, wherever you want the dock. I added it right before the <Swallow name="xload"> tag:

<Dock></Dock>
Then add volumeicon to the startup section at the top of the jwmrc. I added it and feh to set the background:

<StartupCommand>
    sh ~/.fehbg
    volumeicon
</StartupCommand>

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:23 am

2016103014778838861280x800.png
Thank you! pidsley! You are a genius! This worked where the three other alternatives I found online didn't! :)
Ok! I have a great-looking jwm :) :) :)

*EDIT* How do I change this to topic to "solved"?
Someone else may want to look at this.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:29 pm

^ in your first post, click on the little "EDIT" in the right lower corner, then put "[SOLVED]" into the subject line, and hit the Submit button.
..gnutella..

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Re: JWM Config Problems (solved)

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:17 am

Doh! That's right! I've done it before! I may still need to pick up an industrial-sized bottle of Ginko Biloba! Or sticky notes :)
Thanks for fixing it, machinebacon!