*SOLVED* SPECTRWM- I can't see....

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

*SOLVED* SPECTRWM- I can't see....

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:03 pm

2016110414782926001280x800.png
So, I like this setup- except for the bar. The words are so tiny!
Is there any way to make the bar/fonts a little larger?
Also: I don't know how to set up the scrot feature- I know, the man pages....
Still a work in progress. I had to dig around to find the right way to config my conky, and I see some problems still with it that I'm going to have to figure out (like why do I need two clocks?)
I can figure out the conky and the scrot, but I am a little scared of playing with that bar....
Last edited by noo_b_nomnoms on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

pidsley
Hermit

Re: SPECTRWM- I can't see....

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:53 pm

"man spectrwm" says:

Code: Select all

bar_font
         Status bar font.
Try making the font bigger (save a copy of your spectrwm.conf first.)

Code: Select all

bar_font = -*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Use "restart" (bound to mod-q in the default config, probably Alt-q) to reload the config file after you change it. Or kill X and restart spectrwm.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:57 pm

Thank you, pidsley!

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Did it work? (-:

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:03 pm

I don't know much about modifying scripts yet. I will say this though:
BEFORE editing anything you're unsure of, make a backup file folder and copy things in there before editing. I change the file name once copied:

Originalfilename(home-user-blah-blah)backup.whatever

So I know its default name and I know exactly where it came from. This allows me to be wreckless and experimental with a lot of scripts testing a lot of things without fear. This way you can always copy the original back if you make things worse :)

Also, if changes don't require all terminals to be closed to take effect, or complete restart; I tend to keep one terminal and my in work nano file open. So for example when I completely break my openbox menu and can't open a new terminal, I can still often redo things in the old ones...

Another thing I do is !hash out stock lines in a text and make my own duplicate line below with changes I think might work. So you could ! out one of the clocks and see if it changes how you want rather than just deleting lines 1st.
Last edited by catfood on Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:06 pm

And remember that you can always switch to an alternate console (ctrl-alt-f2 or f3) and fix things from there.

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:10 pm

^Nice. Thanks pidsley. Completely forgot that.

Might have saved me when I accidentally blacked out my terminal, mc, and nano with custom .Xresources_colors yesterday. Thankfully I had thunar to find and copy over.
:D

Sorry to hijack, but might as well ask here.
Are TMUX terminals via ctrl-alt-F2 immune to xcolor and other changes? Like always available regardless what configs you mess up inside the system?
Thank You!

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:15 am

2016110414783035571280x800.png
^ It's all good :) and ^^ It was perfect! I always just copy the rc or conf file from /etc/ or wherever it's hanging out.
I forget a lot, but that was one lesson that stuck, lols!
Gonna put this one in my scrots- machinebacon has been on me about trying out spectrwm.
I'm glad he suggested it. It's kinda growing on me :)
And the backup suggestion is also good! I lost forever an i3 and a cwm config that I loved!
Still kicking myself over those, smh.
^You are in tty when you do that- X is not running at that stage- so you can easily make corrections there. Then exit and startx.

dkeg
Configurator

Re: *SOLVED* SPECTRWM- I can't see....

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:08 am

glad to see you got spectrwm all set up and working. Double check the bar font though. That looks to be the fallback font that is displayed when the .conf file has a bad font.

So many wm's have certain aspects that hit that sweet spot for a few days (or hours), then another does just the same, but for another spot. I was rocking 2wm yesterday for a bit from all the talk in the other thread - for like an hour. But fun nonetheless.

Keep up the hard work.

Work hard; Complain less

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:37 am

I'm surprised how quickly I'm learning here. I went from wanting Gnome -> XFCE4 will work -> openbox -> 2wm in about 3 weeks, lol. Viva la Tiling Window Manager!

Ironically my new setup is almost a complete inverse font colors from noo_b_nomnoms scrot here. Gotta love obnoxious neon 90's color themes :D
Well done!
Thank You!

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:23 am

^lols! I was a teen in the 80's, but in my college years (90's) I was a water ski bum! I could never resist the girls in the neon pink (green, yellow, blue....) bikinis! Oh! My wasted youth! ;-)
dkeg I believe you are right! Looking into that asap! Thanks!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:18 am

In case you don't want a bar at all (temporarily) simply press MOD+b
I know, I know, you want a clock :D for this I use the script called "osd" that is bound to a keybinding (for example MOD+o as in "osd") or you simply run tty-clock in another workspace. By the way, tmux has a tty-lock like function too: Ctrl-a t (for "time"). I would generally have a tmux window fullscreen running on another workspace. Switching workspaces is really really easy in spectrwm (Mod+1/2/3/4...)
..gnutella..