AntiX and Siduction repos in present times

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
catfood
Bad Advice Dog

AntiX and Siduction repos in present times

Unread post by catfood » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:04 pm

So I was trying to get apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges as Ivanovnegro suggested for my bbq.

Couldn't download packages because AntiX keys were expired, and siduction mirrors timed out.

I found new antix keys:
https://antixlinux.com/expkeysig-error-and-fix/
but, I feel dumb because I couldn't gpg verify them. This is the 3rd or 4th time I can't figure out how to verify keys right. Debian, Whonix, antix. Somehow even reading instructions present at any given site, I still don't seem to get it? It's usually 4-5 simple steps, I follow them, then somehow doesn't work in one way or another.
I've tried reading through a lot of the documentation at https://gnupg.org/documentation/ ,but it seems to go way over my head and I get dizzy with too much info rather than the simple "here's how to get the right keys and verify your downloads" part I do keep end up needing. I know I've done it right once or twice in the past, like back when i started with linux on mint/ubuntu, but don't know how or why it just worked with the instructions then, but i keep screwing it up somehow now? I just like trustworthy downloads, I'm far from needing my own keys or anything more yet.

If there is a good "gpg keys for idiots" guide that anyone knows of off hand, I'd really appreciate it at this point. I don't want you to waste time hand-holding, but if you know where the cliff notes for gpg are, I'd like to read them!

I read on siduction.org that their repos will just sometimes be down, and they don't care, "use a mirror". Fine by me, lol.
https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?page=8
I've tried a few university mirrors from there, and temp #hashed out their main ones in sources.list, but I still seem to get 404 not found errors on updates, or trying to install any new packages. So, no idea here...

I'm curious for anyone still frequently using a bbq spin what they've done to update these repos safely.
My instinct was to just temp disable antix and siduction and let sid do the work, but I don't know how much bbq base was built on the other repos and how much more I would eventually break worse with that approach, lol.
Anyone already CORRECTLY dealt with these issues that has a better answer? Much appreciated.
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: AntiX and Siduction repos in present times

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Do you really need anything from those repos? On my (vanilla) sid installs I only used Siduction repos and later not even those. They are not really needed anyway.
So I would deactivate them first and then try to update, dist-upgrade the system.