wm breaking beyond its boundaries?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
catfood
Bad Advice Dog

wm breaking beyond its boundaries?

Unread post by catfood » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:20 am

So, playing around, I broke my 2wm .config bad, w/o knowing, then make installed.

On reboot, loaded into X fine, but nothing worked. 2wm terminal/new window shortcuts did nothing. Dmenu(who's shortcut was coded into 2wm config), did nothing. Alt+F1, etc did nothing.

Quickly asking, can I bork up my main wm's code enough to break all access back to TTY root terminal functions?
(I don't know how I broke what on whatever i did, but that felt like the end result, an X loaded feh wallpaper, with a broken keyboard, lol)

I did try "init=/bin/bash/ in Grub, and let myself back into bash shell, but couldn't find my home directory to undo changes from there...

NOT A HUGE PROBLEM!!! I already clonezilla'd back to working. Just curious how I made a wm break TTY escape route I guess? I'm slowly learning to back out and fix things, but if I break my basic (outside X) TTY terminals, then, not learning much, lol.

(dumb assumption #1: Alt+Shift+Enter 2wm keybindings somehow override Alt+F1?
So, if I break/lockout Alt keybindings with shenanigans, I also break default "Back to TTY" default keybindings...?)
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: wm breaking beyond its boundaries?

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 am

I guess so.

with init bash you need to mount your directories and such. I've gone back to my machine booting into console TTY1 and starting X from there.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 pm

Imagine you set your keyboard on fire than it will be very difficult to use ALT whatever. :)

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:18 pm

Yea, i tried just start X, or start openbox (knew it was somewhere on there still). Good to know I need to mount first for next time.
Is that kinda like chrooting into my home from TTY?
ivanovnegro wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 pm
Imagine you set your keyboard on fire than it will be very difficult to use ALT whatever. :)
I still kinda wanna set mice on fire, especially touchpad mice!
(I wonder if any hardcore Linux users pry Super_L out of their keyboards like a Yakuza Yubitsume) :D
Thank You!

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:30 pm

To prevent me doing it again tweaking 2wm, trying to make sure I can pick another wm from the start when I destroy one :D
Going off older learning thread:
pidsley wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:10 pm
... Or you can edit the pick-wm script and remove window managers you don't use. Xfce will be a special case though, because it requires "exec startxfce" instead of just "exec xfce" -- you can add it as a case in pick-wm (like tmux.) And openbox is also a special case if you want the session, not just the window manager.
Less crap installed means less crap to break.
EDIT: wrongly assumed splicing pick-wm script into .xinitrc...
Thank You!

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:39 pm

Opened up old BBQ Cream and Bleuets usb's to compare.

/usr/local/bin/
Found bblqlogin and pick-wm for Cream
Bleuets has a menu, but only ran 2wm, so thought closer approach.
Has bbqlogin and wmchooser there instead.

Break (current install) just seems to boot off .xinitrc imediately, but still has same files list in /usr/local/bin

I don't really understand the process tree between all these startup scripts...

How do I get the bbq menu to load again before(or in place of) my .xinitrc exec 2wm?
And which script or scripts do I edit from there to shave off all the excess wm options I don't actually have installed?
Thank You!