Log-in screen endless loop after upgrade[solved]

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pottzie
Cam Whore

Log-in screen endless loop after upgrade[solved]

Unread post by pottzie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Just did an upgrade that now does an endless loop at the log-in screen. There's now a panel at the top of the screen, not sure if it was there before or not. When I choose LXDE from the icon in the upper right side of the panel, then enter my user name and password, it just cycles back to the log-in. This is on an old Pentium 3 laptop.

Just did the same upgrade to a newer, dual core laptop, upgrade worked without a hitch, so maybe a hardware issue. I can get to a terminal by using ctrl/f2.
Last edited by pottzie on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rhowaldt
Dog

Re: Log-in screen endless loop after upgrade

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:32 pm

for clarity, which BBQ version is this?
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:51 pm

i'm guessing trollinger?
once you get into tty do you have a connection?

Code: Select all

ins pastebinit
might be handy.
can you do

Code: Select all

startx
from tty?
sounds like lightdms gone crazy
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:38 pm

maybe it's this>
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=17245
obviously go straight to a tty (ignore the first bit about slim) do the update alternatives bit
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:56 am

pottzie wrote:Just did an upgrade that now does an endless loop at the log-in screen. There's now a panel at the top of the screen, not sure if it was there before or not. When I choose LXDE from the icon in the upper right side of the panel, then enter my user name and password, it just cycles back to the log-in. This is on an old Pentium 3 laptop.

Just did the same upgrade to a newer, dual core laptop, upgrade worked without a hitch, so maybe a hardware issue. I can get to a terminal by using ctrl/f2.
Change to TTY2 with Ctrl-F2
nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
scroll down to the line "#autologin-user=" and change it to "autologin-user=YOUR_USERNAME" where YOUR_USERNAME is your username. Save and exit, then
service lightdm restart

Edit: LightDM is my new favourite scapegoat: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepor ... t=unstable
Another example, somewhat related: a few weeks ago, there was a bug that the 'default' session didn't start. I circumvented it by editing the /usr/share/xsessions/lightdm-xsession.desktop file and changing Exec=default to Exec=startlxde -- the default seat is now stored in ~/.dmrc. My recommendation for tinkerers is: if not really needed, simply purge lightdm and use no DM at all, instead kick into x with startx/xinit.
..gnutella..

pottzie
Cam Whore

Unread post by pottzie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:35 am

Editing /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf didn't work, but editing /usr/share/xsessions/lightdm-xsession.desktop did. Don't know if just changing lightdm-xsession alone would have worked, or not. Either way, I'm good.

As I said, this borked on one (considerably older) computer, upgrade went without a hitch on newer model. I still have a (quirky) PC to try it on yet. Have to wait and see how that goes.

Either way, problem solved. Thanks.

pidsley
Hermit

Re: Log-in screen endless loop after upgrade[solved]

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:38 am

lightdm is hosed on my machines. two installs today, attempted upgrades and broke lightdm twice. purged and gone.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:24 am

^ I'll add this to the upgrade warnings. My guess is that the libgtk-3-* upgrade has borked something with lightdm (which was upgraded shortly before)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:24 am

If I remember I had an update in LightDM and even took the new conf from the dev when asked, worked, though that was a bit longer ago and has not to be related.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:12 am

Correct, Ivan. IIRC the conf had just one little diff each (don't remember what it was, maybe the font-antialiasing entry in lightdm-gtk-greeter), but there was also some discussion about .dmrc not respecting the last chosen seat. I just suppose that lightdm-gtk-greeter is borked, and not LightDM itself. Do you use a greeter?
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:59 pm

^ Yes, the Gtk greeter and it obviously changed.