SOLVED - long boot time

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
dkeg
Configurator

SOLVED - long boot time

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:21 am

running bloat i686 on an acer aspire timelinex i3,Intel Core i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz
so everything was fine until just the other day. Not sure really what is new or what could have affected it, but all of the sudden there is a delay in booting (<15s to >90s). Its not anything to do with network as I don't have the wireless or eth load automatically. I booted into Kielbasa partition and same thing, so couldn't be from a recent update (?). I installed bloat onto another partition and that boot was totally fine. Here is the dmesg and the dmesg.0.

Keep in mind I don't start wireless until after boot

Definitely need some help on this one. I've tried to search, but I'm not really sure what to search for. Maybe you guys will see something in dmesg.

EDIT: kernel -> Linux bloat 3.10-rc6-experimental-686-pae, but booted into older kernels (3.9-3 and 4) with same results

I can give out more info, whatever you need.
Last edited by dkeg on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: long boot time

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:11 am

You can check

Code: Select all

sudo systemd-analyze blame
for what is delaying the boot after the kernel has been loaded.

According to dmesg the delay happens here:
[ 13.427761] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: i915 driver attached, reenabling gpu turbo
[ 115.089559] brcmsmac bcma0:0: brcms_ops_bss_info_changed: qos enabled: false (implement)
which points at the wireless adapter.

Possibly systemd does its forced filesystem check for a new partition, or the entries in /etc/fstab don't fit the blkid output. Can you compare them?
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 am

ah, that may be it. fstab and blkid are different. let me match fstab to blkid and check.

Work hard; Complain less

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:08 am

Dude, that was it. I did make partition changes. I had not considered the UUIDS would have changed. Seems obvious now, but wasn't clear until now. Good learning experience though. Real glad it's fixed. Thank you!

Work hard; Complain less