No sound. Alsa is awol

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pottzie
Cam Whore

No sound. Alsa is awol

Unread post by pottzie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:42 am

I don't have any sound on my PC. Bash shows alsa installed at /usr/sbin/alsa /usr/share/alsa, but alsamixer draws a blank ("command not found"). Saw a thread where it said to run "sudo apt-get install xfce4-mixer xfce4-volumed,"
http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f ... alsa#p3883
and after running that and opening the new app, I get a panel saying that "GStreamer was unable to detect any sound devices. Some sound system specific GStreamer packages may be missing. It may also be a permissions problem."

lspci shows as:
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

pidsley
Hermit

Re: No sound. Alsa is awol

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:57 am

What BBQ spin are you using? Is this a new install, or an update, and has sound ever worked?

Do you get "command not found" or "no mixer found"? What happens if you try

Code: Select all

sudo alsamixer
What do you get from the following commands:

apt-cache policy alsa-utils
aplay -l
groups
uname -a

pottzie
Cam Whore

Unread post by pottzie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:37 am

It's LXDE, installed about 6 weeks ago. I haven't had sound for a while, this PC has an older AMD cpu that plays video pretty crudely, slow loading speeds, etc, so I haven't used video that much, hence the "no biggie" attitude on getting sound working. Just decided to turn on the "html5" option in Youtube, so now I might as well get sound going.

larry@shmuctbox:~$ sudo alsamixer
[sudo] password for larry: 
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
larry@shmuctbox:~$ sudo su
root@shmuctbox:/home/larry# apt-cache policy alsa-utils
alsa-utils:
  Installed: 1.0.27.1-1
  Candidate: 1.0.27.1-1
  Version table:
 *** 1.0.27.1-1 0
        500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root@shmuctbox:/home/larry# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found...
root@shmuctbox:/home/larry# groups
root
root@shmuctbox:/home/larry# uname -a
Linux shmuctbox 3.9-7.towo-siduction-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 21 16:03:03 UTC 2013 i686 GNU/Linux

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:31 am

I had a similar problem with Trollinger earlier today. Try editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, as described by dkeg in this post: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 24#p316924 (you don't have to use vi, you can use your favorite editor). remember to reboot after you save the file

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:26 am

thanks for the link pidsley, got sound again:)

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:29 pm

thanks pids, glad this was helpful. Before I even realized what was going on, I had three spins affected ...

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Thank you for the fix dkeg -- how did you manage to figure that out?

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:35 pm

I noticed the strange process in pstree and htop. it was sh-modprobe-sh-modprobe-sh-modprobe (something like that). in htop i could see more detail which gave me where to start looking. At this point I still had not even realized it was alsa related. Finall I noticed my volume in conky was as Mute. So it was through trying to figure out why that happened I finally eventually linked the two!

When I couldn't run alsamixer with the result of no soundcard, that is when I went into the alsa conf file. that's when I recognized the install scripts that I saw in htop. So to experiment I commented them out. Still really hadn't confirmed the two were linked. Had two things I was working toward, getting rid of these phantom processes and getting sound back. Commenting out these lines, the primary was to get rid of the processes. When I rebooted it was a bonus to had sound back, and the processes were gone!

I was trying to figure out more of what happened before i posted something, then dude in cb forum had similar issue. the fix working for him was justification that it wasn't just me. And now I see it's spreading.

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:25 pm

^Interesting. Nice catch. Maybe you should post a note in "upgrade warnings" -- it appears to happen with an upgrade to a 3.9-7 kernel.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Ok will do. I'll be out today, but will do a write up tonight

Edit ... added

Work hard; Complain less