salti roaster crashing

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
apprentice
invented Fellatio

salti roaster crashing

Unread post by apprentice » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:34 pm

i know you said roaster wasnt "all that"
but its there so i try it
(nice startpage by the by, i use the one from voyager but same idea)

k roaster
if i click any link except bbq or #! forums it crashes and closes
search bar works
but depending what im searching for (e.g. google translate) it crashes

when i reopen all the characters in address bar and hover overs are numbers in white blocks
like mahjongg tiles
not legible
will open a page but more mahjongg

is it just the way it is?
or can i do anything to fix it

i know, i know
install the weasel

cheers
card carrying p.e.t.a. member of long standing

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: salti roaster crashing

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi Apprentice,

yes, the roaster is like this at the moment. It is included in Saltimbocca to have at least something graphical to surf with until the user has decided which browser he wants to use. It's quite buggy when you have multiple tabs open, and that's why it was abandoned in the past. Right now I am working on some tools for the upcoming RC2 (not Bocca/Cargot) but I will look into the code of Roaster again and try to fix it (rather than adding features).

Maybe you want to try Cooker (that's Roaster's little brother, used for the cookbook):

http://www.linuxbbq.org/zerobin/index.p ... Bgx0GSLrc=

paste it into an editor - if you want to use it from the menu, save it under /usr/bin/cooker, then as root:
chmod +x /usr/bin/cooker
chmod 777 /usr/bin/cooker

It's quite blank, but hard to crash ;)

There'll be a repository soon for the new bbq-tools, I'll tell you the details when it's finished. This will help you setting up the Bocca -- might take a few more days.

Greetings to the family ;)

Edit: I re-read your post, and I noticed you wrote it doesn't want to open other pages... that's quite strange. Mind to tell me your sysinfo? (open terminal -> bbqfix -> choose the 'Create sysinfo' and paste it here
..gnutella..

apprentice
invented Fellatio

Unread post by apprentice » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:08 am

hidey ho bacon
machinebacon wrote:It's quite buggy when you have multiple tabs open
it has multiple tabs?
i couldnt even keep one running:)
Maybe you want to try Cooker
will give it a go
what are roaster and cooker anyway
where do they spawn from
might take a few more days.
no worries
salti is for my machine
wont start that till s.h.m.b.o is happy
Greetings to the family ;)
and to you and? yours?
the whole famn damily says cheers

as requested:
http://www.linuxbbq.org/zerobin/index.p ... 2RovCOmSw=

can't reproduce the mahjongg tiles but still no go on youtube, translate, e.t.c.

also
when trying to download (eg speckdrum)
progress bar goes to 100%
but nothing happens

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:52 am

real men download with wget:

wget -c http://linuxbbq.org/releases/speckdrum/ ... ckdrum.iso

It will pick up a lost connection with the '-c' option.

Well I don't know what's wrong with your Roaster :) Radeon card, that's the same like rhowaldt's. Maybe he can report back if his Roaster breaks too.

The multiple tabs can be opened with the big-ass + button right of the address bar.

sudo apt-get install python-simplejson

can you try this too?
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:47 pm

just downloaded, dd'd and booted Saltimbocca to test for this Roaster crashing stuff. however, couldn't get my wifi to work (always with the dogdamned wifi!).
here's my lspci -knn for that issue at least (or you want me to start a separate thread?): http://linuxbbq.org/zerobin/index.php?f ... HhlljQSVQ=

wicd told me 'no wireless networks found'. rfkill list all told me nothing was blocked. then i quit wicd (or wait, maybe i just quit the systray gui app and not the daemon? could have something to do with it...), ran ceni, ceni found my wireless easy, set it up, opened Roaster, none of the links did anything, nor did typing in the address bar for a direct URL. i figured i'd know how to get wifi to work by now but apparently not...
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Have you entered 'wlan0' or 'ath0' into the Wicd preferences dialog? See 'cookbook'. I have right in this moment tested the (new) 486 spin on my netbook and Wicd first says that it doesn't find a network - until you manually enter the device name into the hidden (!) preferences dialog.

After this, please make sure that you give DNS numbers. Please use 'bbqfix' in terminal, step "Ping test"

@roaster: it all behaves well here. Sorry :(
Attachments
2012-11-11--1352564404_1098x992_scrot.png
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:57 pm

^ thanks Jules, i never realized wicd has some hidden preferences field where i had to enter stuff. it's been a while since i last used wicd. however, it is kinda weird that ceni wasn't working for me. but maybe that had something to do with the wicd daemon still running (?)

gonna try again!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:02 pm

sorry apprentice, i cannot replicate your issues. Roaster works just fine for me.

btw, Jules, naturally your tip worked, wicd connected just fine and typing this from a very smooth Saltimbocca :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Nice :)

Guess how many bugreports there were filed in all different distros, that Wicd doesn't connect etc. etc. - and I just know it because I had the same problem in another distro. This is not the best GUI design, but I cannot do anything about it.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:38 pm

imo, if there were a setting in the wicd config file or something to have wlan0 as wireless interface by default, the problem would be a lot smaller. just Googled a bit, and it seems this is possible:

wicd config-files:
/etc/wicd/manager-settings.conf
/etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf
/etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf

manual page for manager-settings.conf: http://linux.die.net/man/5/wicd-manager-settings.conf
says

Code: Select all

wireless_interface = <name_of_wireless_interface> 
consider this a suggestion?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:30 pm

That's not the problem, rho. The problem is that then the people with Atheros cards will complain, or those who get the card assigned as wlan1, or those who have a dongle :D

I have thought about the same, seriously, but you remember....
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:41 pm

yeah i know, and i figured that would be your answer, and you are right :)

apprentice
invented Fellatio

Unread post by apprentice » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:12 am

rhowaldt wrote:sorry apprentice, i cannot replicate your issues. Roaster works just fine for me.
thanks for testing rho
baby giving grief tonight so no play time for me
will try bacons suggestions tomorrow