Saltimbocca Installation bug?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
sunfizz98
Oyster-Slurper

Saltimbocca Installation bug?

Unread post by sunfizz98 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:45 pm

I just went through the installation app, and it seems like the installer does not like custom partition mountpoints like /usr, /var, /tmp. I noticed this when the installer hung on copying contents to my /usr partition. Therefore, I killed the installer and decided to install the distro using just root and /home partitions. This worked without problems.

Questions:
1. Is the use of /usr, /var, /tmp partitions unsupported by the installer?
2. Is it recommended to use separate /usr, /var, /tmp partitions or is it an outdated practice?
3. Is there a kernel remover/installer or will I need to remove them manually via apt?

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Saltimbocca Installation bug?

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Hello and thanks for trying BBQ!

1) The installer is creating its own mount points, so "unfortunately" there is no way to get around it*. It creates a mount point, chroots into it, copies the files, and unmounts the chroot, adds it to GRUB. This is basically the same installer like in LMDE or Solus.
2) It was - some time ago - a recommendation in Arch Linux's Installation Guide, yes. The reason is, that some users like to keep their logs or their system files completely separated and change the file system type, especially /var is used for log files, cache or databases. The question would rather be *which* filesystem type to use. I wouldn't worry too much about it and go for the traditional / and /home. (The separated /usr partition is only interesting if you have a bunch of distros that should share applications. IMO more headache than joy to make the things work smoothly.)
3) Yes, there is a failsafe kernel remover with the catchy name kernel-remover, you can run it as root/super-user.

*) I could implement this feature, if many users request it. Until now, you are the first to mention it - but I never say never ;)
..gnutella..

apprentice
invented Fellatio

Unread post by apprentice » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:24 am

just my 2 cents bacon
machinebacon wrote:I could implement this feature, if many users request it. Until now, you are the first to mention it - but I never say never ;)
i am also of the separate /usr, /var/log type

but as you know i also have lvm thrown in the mix:)
which cocks things up a bit
but thats for when 32 bit kielbasa arrives to worry about for wifey
which i'm pretty sure ive got figured out

salti will be going on my lappy so i can do what i want
but to have the option there would be nice

cheers
card carrying p.e.t.a. member of long standing

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:44 am

I'll try to put it (the separate /usr and /var) in the Salti 486 installer and send it up today. No guarantee it will be working, though. Have to fix something else for 486 anyway so it's a good time to 'throw it into the mix'.

And dear Poet, the chances of getting LVM into the installer are around 0 :) I simply can't test it on real hardware ... but I promise I don't give up.
..gnutella..

apprentice
invented Fellatio

Unread post by apprentice » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:55 am

^no worries bacon
work on important stuff
if you keep using the solus installer it's coming anyway
ikey wrote:Anything that's missing we re-implement or write from scratch. We're using the installer I wrote for LMDE, and decided even that needs a refresh. SolusOS 2 is getting a brand new installer that I'm writing now which has better partitioning support, automation, OEM, LVM, encryption, amonst other options.
solus2 isnt expected til the new year but...
card carrying p.e.t.a. member of long standing

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:56 am

Yes, Ikey is working on a new modular installer and I'm quite happy about it :) I admit I have no idea about UEFI and LVM and all that crap, but I also have other alternatives already (if things change) - just no time to test them.
..gnutella..