Kernel questions: shouldn't I get the latest kernel? how?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pidsley
Hermit

Re: Kernel questions: shouldn't I get the latest kernel? how

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:56 pm

3.10 has been in the Debian experimental repo for some time.

Yes, you are overthinking and babbling again. We expect nothing less from you. :)

I won't tell you about the time I removed acpi from my kernel, thinking it was all about laptop power management (and I don't own a laptop)... turns out it does a lot more than that.

kernel-seeds.org. Trust me. If you have more questions, post on the Gentoo forum. These guys know their shit. They will want to see your kernel config, so get handy with pastebinit or wgetpaste.

I agree that the only real reason to build your own kernel is for either geek cred, or for a distro that requires it like Gentoo or CRUX. If you have to build one, you might as well do it right. If others have done it for you, use theirs. Except for Liquorix. :)

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:31 am

^ Respects you ...

From the 1st time you showed up @ the #! forum, thought ... here is a nixer cut from the same cloth.

Edit nevermind what am intending ... Main points were communicated. ;)

Vllbbq!

Whew ! That was close almost had a drunken "I wuv you man!" moment there. Hate when that happens. :P
Last edited by bizcuit on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 am

Just my $0.02. On of my more recent projects was trying to make a kernel specific to a single machine.

Huge....fucking....waste....of....time.

It took me multiple tries to get it to perform as well as a stock kernel, and eventually ended up finally managing to knock out only a really minimal amount of overhead. It took days, though, for what I'd consider negligible difference.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:31 pm

^ DebianJoe ... another nixer I get good vibes from, shrugs.

Atm I really don't know, thinking you know something vs knowing what the hades you're talking about are clearly different things. For the most part agree though ( and mentioned repeatedly by this point) becoming a nix kernel tweaker expert isn't a 15min process and guessing for the most part isn't practical. Esp for personal computer users. Be better off employing other options or alternatives ? As mentioned ... install a performance kern or compatible kernel from elsewhere. Try them ... see if you like the results etc ...

If not ... no biggie, uninstall the sucker(s) and proceed in an orderly fashion ? :D

DebianJoe ... guessing much the same applies to commercial-professional projects. Install a prerolled kernel to try, that's supposed to be optimized for your application and/or upgrade 2 a bigger share of system resources ram/cpu-etc ? Mainly why I'm interested atm anyway. About to write it off as a lost cause = Not willing to spend the time involved I guess. Not because there isn't potential though.

For personal computing believe I've gotten some benefits from compiling a custom kernel. Though could be outside factors involved specific to my situation. Aka: Going from kernel v 3.5 to 3.10 ... reasonable to assume some improvements were made in the interrim by the kernel developers of the world ?

Shutting it ... am not qualified to intelligently discuss this topic. Oh well ... :D