64 bit flash player[solved]

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pottzie
Cam Whore

64 bit flash player[solved]

Unread post by pottzie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:34 pm

Just getting a 64 bit Mate install going, discovered that flash isn't included with the install. Saw the "Enough" thread,
http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=367
wonder if I should use that instead. As far as I know, all I need to do is get flash working, but if there are other reasons to go with the 64 bit LXDE instead, I can do that.

There's a line that says "ins flashplugin-nonfree," and when I did that (correcting to 'install' for 'ins'), bash said that a "destination file operand" was missing.
Last edited by pottzie on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pidsley
Hermit

Re: 64 bit flash player

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:43 pm

You didn't need to "correct" ins -- "ins" is an alias for "sudo apt-get install" -- the alias may or may not be in your .bash_aliases file, so use this to install the flash plugin:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
"install" by itself (what you tried to run) is a completely different animal, and not something you need to worry about. When you get errors like "destination file operand missing", you can read the man page for the command like this:

Code: Select all

man install
You would see that "install" copies files, so it takes two arguments, and it's used to install files after compiling. It has nothing to do with installing packages.

pottzie
Cam Whore

Re: 64 bit flash player

Unread post by pottzie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:51 pm

First, thanks, the install line worked great.

Also, I've never had something answered that fast! Thanks for that, too!

pidsley
Hermit

Re: 64 bit flash player[solved]

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 pm

You're welcome.