[Solved] xsession-errors with Trollinger i686 LiveCD

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
JoeMama
Village Idiot

[Solved] xsession-errors with Trollinger i686 LiveCD

Unread post by JoeMama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Hello everyone,
While using the Trollinger i686 LiveCD, I was looking in the /home/bbq directory and I had noticed that the .xsession-errors log had increased in size in a pretty short amount of time [5-10 min] since last seeing it. So I took a look at it and saw that it was mostly filled with the message "FATAL_ERROR: The server is not running !" As I'm writing this, the log is around 1MB and growing. I checked to see if this occurs when using the Elitist LiveCD, and it doesn't, which confuses me a bit more.
At the moment I am trying to see if I can possibly figure this out on my own. However, due to the FATAL_ERROR part of the message, I thought I would play it safe and ask for help. Due to my inexperience, I don't know how serious this is and if it is something that should be addressed sooner rather later. As in, I don't know if this is a problem that should be left alone while searching and googling for its solution :) Just in case you need to know, I logged into Trollinger under the default X session.
I'm not sure what logs one may need to look at for this i.e. inxi, lspci -nnk, dmesg etc.. other than the .xsession-errors, so let me know. Due to the size and redundancy of the .xsession-errors output, I've just copied and pasted it with just one line of the FATAL_ERROR...message. I scrolled thru to see if there were other parts to the xsession-errors log and found a few lines.
I included them just in case they might help. I appreciate any help or advice you can give. Thanks

My xsession-error log:

Code: Select all

Xsession: X session started for bbq at Sun Jul  7 16:36:30 CST 2013
localuser:bbq being added to access control list
Openbox-Message: Unable to find a valid menu file "/usr/share/lxde/openbox/menu.xml"
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk_redshift/statusicon.py:115: Warning: /build/buildd-glib2.0_2.33.12+really2.32.4-3-i386-Z8T5T2/glib2.0-2.33.12+really2.32.4/./gobject/gsignal.c:2459: signal `child-added' is invalid for instance `0xa5e90a0'
  indicator.set_menu(status_menu)
/usr/bin/cappind:46: Warning: /build/buildd-glib2.0_2.33.12+really2.32.4-3-i386-Z8T5T2/glib2.0-2.33.12+really2.32.4/./gobject/gsignal.c:2459: signal `child-added' is invalid for instance `0xa3ae090'
  self.ind.set_menu(self.menu)
Conky: forked to background, pid is 1432

Conky: desktop window (e0008a) is subwindow of root window (61)
Conky: window type - normal
Conky: drawing to created window (0x2000001)
Conky: drawing to double buffer

FATAL_ERROR: The server is not running!

glibtop: Non-standard uts for running kernel:
release 3.7-1.towo-siduction-686=3.7.0 gives version code 198400

Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkRange::activate-slider' of type `gboolean' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x8cca750)" of type `GString'

(pcmanfm:1382): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_container_foreach: assertion `GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed
(pcmanfm:1382): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_menu_shell_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_MENU_SHELL (menu_shell)' failed
(pcmanfm:1382): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_model_iter_next: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_MODEL (tree_model)' failed
(pcmanfm:1382): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_list_store_append: assertion `GTK_IS_LIST_STORE (list_store)' failed
(pcmanfm:1382): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_list_store_set_valist: assertion `GTK_IS_LIST_STORE (list_store)' failed
(pcmanfm:1382): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_model_get_iter_first: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_MODEL (tree_model)' failed
(mod edit (pidsley) -- added code tags)
Last edited by JoeMama on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

pidsley
Hermit

Re: xsession-errors with Trollinger i686 LiveCD

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:31 pm

I added

tags to your post to make the output easier to read. You can do this yourself in the future.

Please post the contents of your ~/.conkyrc -- I suspect this output is coming from conky, trying to display the currently playing song in mocp and not finding it. If conky is doing this, you can just comment out the offending lines. But let's see your conkyrc first.

(edit) -- I booted Trollinger live, and I think I am correct about conky and mocp. Edit your ~/.conkyrc file, and find this section:
[code]$alignc${exec mocp -Q %artist}     ${exec mocp -Q %song}
#${alignc}${execi 10 deadbeef --nowplaying '%a'}
#${alignc}${execi 10 deadbeef --nowplaying '%t'}
comment out the mocp line (change it to):

#$alignc${exec mocp -Q %artist}     ${exec mocp -Q %song}
Save the file, and the errors should stop. If they don't, you might need to restart conky:

pkill conky && conky &
This change will not survive across a reboot, so if you use the live version often you will have to make this change every time you boot (or live with the errors -- they are not really "fatal" to anyone but conky).

JoeMama
Village Idiot

Unread post by JoeMama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Pidsley, 1st, thanks so much for the quick response. 2nd, Sorry about not posting the xsession-errors properly. I'm such an idiot, I first had to look up how to do it for this one :D
"Conky wants to display the currently playing song in mocp" That's weird, cuz I'm not trying to play anything in mocp, and have never even tried. Was that something that was left over from another distro when creating this one? While searching, I did come across something that mentioned it might be a conky related problem. I didn't realize that the FATAL-ERROR message was linked to Conky because there were other messages listed too and to me, it wasn't clear cut. Did you associate the message with Conky because it started directly below the last Conky line? Just wondering in case something else pops up in the future, that way I'll have an idea on what to check for.

alignment top_middle
background yes
default_color  B0B5B8 #d4d4d4 #7D95AD  
double_buffer yes
draw_borders no
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
gap_x 0
gap_y 80
maximum_width 1000
minimum_size 300 
#no_buffers yes
override_utf8_locale yes
own_window yes # thanks MATE :(
own_window_title conky
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_type normal 	## normal /override /desktop
text_buffer_size 80000
total_run_times 0
update_interval 1
uppercase no
use_xft yes
xftalpha 1
xftfont Source Sans:pixelsize=9
#own_window_argb_visual yes
#				fonts
#	Blue Highway
#	Zegoe Light - U
#	Zekton
#	Calibri
#	Engebrechtre
#	Opeln2001
#	Pricedown
# BankGothic Md BT:

TEXT
${font Dream Orphanage:pixelsize=55}${alignc}${time %H:%M}${font}

${font Dream Orphanage:pixelsize=20}${alignc}${time %Y, %B %d. %A}${font}

${font Geosans Light:pixelsize=18}${alignc}[ CPU ${cpubar cpu0 5,50} | RAM ${membar 5,50} ]
#${font Geosans Light:pixelsize=18}${alignc}[ Up: ${upspeed eth0} Down: ${downspeed eth0} ]

$alignc${exec mocp -Q %artist}     ${exec mocp -Q %song}

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:47 pm

The problem is that conky expects you to be playing a song, and since you're not, it's unhappy. It's a spiffy feature in the conky config file that displays the currently playing song. If you play music in mocp, you will magically see the "now playing" song show up on your desktop. It's not left over from anything, it's something that's just in the conky config (like the last two lines about deadbeef -- they're just there). Comment the mocp line out, or just play some music in mocp :)

No problem about the

tags -- most people don't get it at first, and it's just easier to edit the post than to try to explain it. Once you can see how it's done it's easy.

JoeMama
Village Idiot

Unread post by JoeMama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Holy Shit!! The last FATAL_ERROR message was all the way down to line #131865 in the xsession-error log!!
I guess Trollinger really wanted to hear some music! :D That actually is a pretty sweet feature though!

Pidsley, Thank You Sooo Much for the help. I really appreciate it.

p.s. Do I just add [Solved] to the beginning of the post subject?
I'm still getting the "GtkRange::activate-slider" error message but I'll try to figure that out myself. If I need help, I'll submit a new post.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm

see this post

its a simple fix

Work hard; Complain less

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:17 pm

JoeMama wrote:Do I just add [Solved] to the beginning of the post subject?
Yes, that's the way. :)

JoeMama
Village Idiot

Re: [Solved] xsession-errors with Trollinger i686 LiveCD

Unread post by JoeMama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Guys, Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated :)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 pm

JoeMama wrote:Guys, Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated :)
Any time. We like answering questions.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Yeah, the damned xsession-errors file - I remember xscreensaver or friends have spammed it to grow up to several Gigabytes (!)
It's no problem to either remove the file or to run a cronjob that empties it, or even to change the write access to root only ;)
..gnutella..