Gangbang window manager support

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pidsley
Hermit

Gangbang window manager support

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Ask your Gangbang window manager configuration questions here. Questions like "How do I change the titlebar font in lwm?" go here. Questions like "Bacon! Y U no include qupzilla?" belong in the Gangbang release topic.

Things to know

All the window managers should have either bound keys or right-click root-window menus. The important bound keys:
Alt-Shift-Enter: start a terminal
Alt-Shift-Q: exit the window manager
Alt+F3: start dmenu
There are other bound keys -- type "cat ~/.xbindkeysrc" in a terminal to see the definitions for them. If you can't get a root menu and Alt-Shift-Enter doesn't work, please report this in the Gangbang release topic.

Before you ask a question

1. RTFM (read the f'in manpage). Type "man <windowmanager>" in a terminal (replace <windowmanager> with the name of the WM you are using). Or use Alt-F7 to start "bbqwm" (or type "bbqwm" in a terminal.)

2. RTFW (read the f'in wiki). Most of the window managers have entries in the wiki. Start here.

If you have RTFM and RTFW and still have questions, ask here.

(edit) Courtesy of The Grillmeister:
The shortcuts are as follows:

Code: Select all

Ctl - Alt - Enter.....open x-terminal-emulator
Alt - F1.........open LinuxBBQ's Terminal Menu
Alt - F2.....................open a run dialog
Alt - F3...............open the dmenu launcher
Alt - F4...........................start emacs
Alt - F5......open a random website in Roaster
Alt - F6...................open Midori browser
Alt - F7......open the Window Manager manpages
Alt - F8.................open the Desktop Help
Alt - o........................decrease volume
Alt - p........................increase volume
Alt - Shift - q............quit window manager 
Ctl - Alt - Delete.......choose window to kill

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Gangbang window manager support

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:05 am

Should I post this here. Finally trying it out. Very nice. Listening to radio, browsing the web and watching TV.

Somebody also experiencing that Fluxbox does not start?

Changed the background in CWM with xsetroot, that WM is neat. Afterstep is plain ugly. :D

Though, seems my rig cannot handle the playing in a VM any longer, it is getting really hot and the CPU spikes when I do more stuff. I will need the machine of my BH.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Thank you,David. Gotta check what went wrong with fluxbox.
will probably not fix it in the near future, if it's just a little bug in the session chooser.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:Somebody also experiencing that Fluxbox does not start?
Ivan, are you still using the alpha, or did you download the final release? Fluxbox is broken in the alpha because there was no fluxbox-start script, but I believe this is fixed in the final release with the updated scripts. Fluxbox works for me in the final, but does not in the alpha (dwm is also broken in the alpha, along with a few others).

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Damn, shitty me, looked it up, still was the alpha. So, forget it then.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks Pidsley, that was quite obvious :D
..gnutella..

piotr5
Distrowatcher

Unread post by piotr5 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:20 pm

tried it out today, and noticed some bugs: several window managers fail to start up. the reason always seems to be because the default fonts cannot be found. even fonts with name alike to -*-*-*-14-*-*-*- do not work. however, I managed to get most of the failing window managers to run, without solving the underlying font-problem. someone who has more experience with fonts probably should look at a real solution. my own solution was to edit /usr/bin/*-start with * being: aewm, aewm++, evilwm, 9wm, sithwm
for this to work also /usr/bin/start-wm must contain "$@" instead of $1. then I add '-fn fixed' to aewm and evilwm commandline options, 9wm requires -font instead of -fn, and sithwm works with "fn fixed" when I use the quotation-marks as here.
several other window managers have config files: amiwm needs ~/.amiwmrc to be created, sapphire has /usr/share/sapphire/themes , and subtle has one in /etc/xdg/.
just change whatever font to "fixed". strangely this doesn't work with olwm. also alopex is configured on rebuild only.
sapphire seems to have some additional problem I can't figure out, but it starts from terminal, as does musca.

that's a total of 13 window managers that don't work out of the box, instead of only the 2 relying on lisp...

also I should mention, pressing alt-F7 and then choosing "exit current WM" makes the computer hang in most cases. instead I just type "pkill xinit" in some terminal. tried to edit /usr/share/bbqwm to that effect did nothing except preventing the hang and the exit. I remember one window manager must be killed through that original menu though and wont give me a hang...

another problem I have with bbq in general, I have no idea how to start the various iso's from grub. any ideas? all I can do is to dd them onto some partition or device (or maybe use vmware), but I cannot start the iso-file directly from the ntfs filesystem, even not after extracting the kernel and initrd...

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:55 pm

The font issue is a known bug, and will be fixed for the next release (custard/cream).

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Thank you for your report. We are working on the follow-up and will take these changes into account.
:)
..gnutella..