ATI and fglrx-updates?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
hinto
Forums Hottie

ATI and fglrx-updates?

Unread post by hinto » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:06 pm

I must admit one of speed bumps I've been having with Debian (not Ubuntu) based distros is my ATI chip in my laptop. On Ubuntu, there's a fglrx-updates package, where on Debian there is not. I've tried installing the ATI drivers from their website but either 1) I'm getting the wrong one (I'm using the one ) or 2) Ubuntu has some secret sauce when they create the fglrx-updates package.
I'm surely missing something.... and the OpenSource driver seems to give me a low res display....

nxi -Gu yields:
Graphics: Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6520G] X.Org 1.12.4 Res: [email protected]
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A
According to what I've read, it's supposed to be supported by fglrx-driver.

-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Re: ATI and fglrx-updates?

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Have you played with Sgfxi? It simplifies the process of proprietary driver installs a bit.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 pm

I *think* I have. I've been a long time fan of smxi (formally the famous h2 scripts). I've stabbed at the Debian based distros (siduction, linuxBBQ, LMDE, SolydXK). I've used DDM and I *think* smxi, as well as installing from the website. The "worst" case was that I booted to a a blank screen after an aticonfig -f initial. I had to unwind that puppy by booting a liveCD and zap xorg.conf.

I'll try again, esp, since I'm really digging LXDE on my laptop now. The Coal release announcement get me looking at Trollinger 64.... Unless there will be a Coal 64.

-Hinto

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:38 pm

That being said... I'm sufficiently happy with LXDE on my laptop (currently Unofficial Mint LXDE) to install Elitists and get the darn video working ;)
-Hinto

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 pm

hinto,
the standard answer is: http://manual.siduction.org/en/gpu-en.htm#ati-3d
I don't use ATI, sorry :)

And yes, Coal 64 will come soon.
..gnutella..

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks...
I'm hooked (on BBQ.. had some for lunch). I need a forum I can actually read ;)

http://linuxmint.pl/lista-artykuow/1-la ... ydany.html
^ uhhh what?

Nothing wrong with the distro... Works like a champ.... but.... I really like SID and anything non-Ubuntu ;)

-Hinto

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:30 am

^ Only a GB of valuable Polish gibberish :D

Sounds like you need a (fuckyou) nVidia or Intel card :))
..gnutella..

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:34 pm

...and a slot to put it in...
It's a laptop. My (home) desktop is nVidia and my (work) workstations are Intel.
BTW... in the past, the thing that's kept me from running LXDE at work is dual head support in VMWare (I run Win7 as a guest).
XFCE/Gnome/KDE all seem to support it. OpenBox/LXDE do not. It's not that OpenBox/LXDE don't support dual head. They do, VMWare doesn't recognize it. I'm not sure if it's OpenBox in LXDE (I could try replace the WM in it). That being said, I'm amazed at the lack of pregnant pauses in LXDE.
-Hinto