Can't boot. Other than that, everything works great

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pottzie
Cam Whore

Can't boot. Other than that, everything works great

Unread post by pottzie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:48 am

Just did dist-upgrade on an old, Pentium III Thinkpad. Got some warnings, ignored them like I always do. Now after rebooting, I get "decompressing kernel...parsing ELF....done (Then) Booting the kernel

And then just a blinking cursor and a black screen......forever.

I'm guessing that I have to load a live CD and do, uh,..something, but only 'da good lord knows what that something is, so I came here asking. How do I fix this thing?

Thanks.

swftech
Sobe

Re: Can't boot. Other than that, everything works great

Unread post by swftech » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:56 am

To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
You came to the right place, just need you to add a little of ^ that and then we'll go from there.
Got some warnings, ignored them like I always do.
That's not a good idea either, so how bout we start again if you want some help? :)

Also at the forever blinking cursor try to log in to tty.. ctrl+alt+f1 report back.

pottzie
Cam Whore

Unread post by pottzie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:17 am

Well....checked the Home page, saw that there's a new LXDE version available, and thought that might be a better way to go. So I'm downloading that, and waiting for it to complete.

That said, this is running Openbox, had just updated. Doesn't appear to be a kernel issue, I can select any kernel from Grub, still does the same thing. Without loading a live CD, I can't get to a terminal.

Ctrl/Alt/f1 doesn't change anything. This is all happening before the kernel is initiated.

swftech
Sobe

Unread post by swftech » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:24 am

Too bad we can't know what the ignored warnings were :P
Is the Openbox spin from the BBQ? Were you running Darkside or penbang?
Btw, you will like Coal, and pidsley wrote a great tutorial here http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=510 in case you wanna have a look.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 am

Seems that it is either systemd doing a fsck (did you add new partitions recently?) or recently a GRUB2 upgrade wasn't carried out correctly (ignored warnings?)
You can try to boot again, press 'e' in the boot menu, move the cursor to the part where it says init=/bin/systemd and remove this. Then press F10 to boot. It will use the traditional sysV (doesn't work on Coal, by the way!)
..gnutella..

pottzie
Cam Whore

Unread post by pottzie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:38 am

Yeah, I'm a fan of LXDE anyway, and I've seen that LXDE is teaming up with another group and leaning towards qt. And it will also give me a fresh live cd to look at whatever happened on this install, maybe. I did the upgrade as I was about to go somewhere, and just hit "Yeah, whatever," when the warnings came up. Hell, what upgrade doesn't tell me that the entire box is going to hell if I proceed. Usually, it all works anyway.

Usually.

Tried the 'e' during grub, then removing init=/bin/systemd. No change when I hit f10, still stops at the same line.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:03 am

Ok, I see you're not married to your existing installation, so go for Coal (in South Korea, go for Coal in 88)

[BBvideo 560,340]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAnmSvB0Qag[/BBvideo]

After successful installation, please dance like one of the clowns there.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:35 am

Next time do not ignore the warnings. When you see such, post in the support forum or in "Upgrade Warnings". It exists for a reason and we provide apt-listbugs for a reason, otherwise you won't see any warnings and bork your system equally.