Darkside64 issues

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
missinglink
Rawdog

Darkside64 issues

Unread post by missinglink » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:13 pm

I'm continuing where I left off in this thread.
Machine is Asus 1015E-DS03.
I've pulled the Ubuntu 12.04 HD, have a blank ssd installed ready for action. I'm typing this from a live usb Trollinger32. No real problems with that.
First choice for install to the SSD is Darkside64.
When I booted a Darkside64 live usb, these issues stopped progress:
1) Thunar recognizes neither USB keys nor SD card plugged in. Unplug, plug in again, no difference. When plugged in, these devices were visible in Darkside64 with GParted.
2) No wifi - discussed in previous post, see above link. Tint2 does not show the wireless connection icon thingie - that's the technical term, right? Plan b: plug in usb Edimax wifi dongle to see if that works, no joy.
I'll likely be away from the web for the next half day or so - I'll check back then. Overnight I'm going to check if CB11 - 64 has the file manager glitch. I know wifi won't work out of the box...
Happy grillin'

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Darkside64 issues

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:15 am

Hello,

1) try with usbmount (ins usbmount) which should work in most cases (also see http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=360)
2) the wireless icon thingie is usually not needed, and broken thanks to gtk3. open a terminal to manage wireless via Ceni - the Edimax wifi dongle will probably work with these instructions: http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=363

Happy borking.
..gnutella..

missinglink
Rawdog

Unread post by missinglink » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Update on the broadcom equipped devil.
Using MB's instructions, I did manage to get wifi working in Crunchbang 11 64bit (live usb), using this wheezy package.
Hey, it ain't BBQ, but that's one hurdle passed.
As to Darkside64, these tips:
1) try with usbmount (ins usbmount) which should work in most cases (also see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=360)
2) the wireless icon thingie is usually not needed, and broken thanks to gtk3. open a terminal to manage wireless via Ceni - the Edimax wifi dongle will probably work with these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=363

... uhh, kind of circular, non? I'd have to get online with the Darkside install to do the sudo apt-get install usbmount Can't mount any usb to install the BCM package to get online. Seems I'm stuck.
Or what obvious step am I missing with my feeble brain?
Again, I'm super stoked to have your help at least get this pensi-faced BCM working with #!
Thanks!

Edit: I should be back at it tomorrow. Thanks, guys.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:06 am

The feeble brain can download the required packages manually, store them on his hard drive's other internal partition, then boot into Darkside, mount the partition there, and dpkg -i (install via dpkg) the packages that got previously downloaded :) Or did my feeble brain miss a crucial step? :) No internal partition? Then do it from a live session of a 32bit (or whatever works), install usbmount with a working internet connection, save the file on the external drive (not using apt-get but downloading it from Debian's packages website) :)

(by the way, bin there, dun that)
..gnutella..