Looking to make a distro but i am a noob and want to learn?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
bones
Clooney

Re: Looking to make a distro but i am a noob and want to lea

Unread post by bones » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:32 pm

DebianJoe wrote:Ich lachte bis ich lachen konnte nicht mehr.
Ich lachte, bis ich umfiel und zerbrach meinen Kopf zu öffnen.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:58 am

DebJoe, there's a limit to everything in everything and everybody. You remember, my grandfather died in a concentration camp when another drunk soldier fell on him from the watchtower. I've gone through a lot of tough times, my previous girlfriend was German. Haven't had breakfast yet.

kidx, if you want to change the installer, no problem. It's written in python and located in /usr/share/live-installer/
..gnutella..

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:36 am

machinebacon wrote:DebJoe, there's a limit to everything in everything and everybody. You remember, my grandfather died in a concentration camp when another drunk soldier fell on him from the watchtower. I've gone through a lot of tough times, my previous girlfriend was German. Haven't had breakfast yet.

kidx, if you want to change the installer, no problem. It's written in python and located in /usr/share/live-installer/
\man your teh best in teh wrold for helping em and you guys rock here I have epelepsy and can on do so much at a time i wanna learn you dont know how bad i wanna learn you dont know how bad I am thriving to do this.Also I run WBGS this will be be for every one so every one can be free and get along and become one man this is why I love my contry I hope to never see any one put in a camp like ever in my life again major respect but now i must take my dialantin just woke up and epelesy is buging me thanks alot.DebianJoe your awsome thanks for supporting me I dediacte this to all the heros that died trying to save all those people.

P.S No one should be punished we all should be equal thanks for erything.
This si why i started WBGS.

Also I have to go with coal why casue its updated your right man i should listen Rock on guys.

[BBvideo 560,340]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIkfyE8tOA[/BBvideo]

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:36 am

you started the Watford Boys Grammar School? wow
BTW - I have friends with quite severe epilepsy, but it never stopped them from using a spell checker, even the only dyslectic guy i know spells better than me without one. (as anyone on IRC can testify)
keep at it, but read around the subject - it's a big subject. the BBQ is probably the best one stop Build, Bork, Quantify base distro.
I hear openSUSE is popular also...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:38 am

openSuSE would definitely make the OPs project easy to handle. Another one would be slax and the Ubuntu Remaster Kit.
..gnutella..

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:14 am

wuxmedia wrote:you started the Watford Boys Grammar School? wow
BTW - I have friends with quite severe epilepsy, but it never stopped them from using a spell checker, even the only dyslectic guy i know spells better than me without one. (as anyone on IRC can testify)
keep at it, but read around the subject - it's a big subject. the BBQ is probably the best one stop Build, Bork, Quantify base distro.
I hear openSUSE is popular also...
Wow i never started that I started White & Black Gaming Society totally different than that lmao funny how people think i am a grammar freak lol look at me am i that perfect we all have flaws grammar bieng one.Also open suse being great and stable also requires me to install every thing manually and no room for real customization with all that bacon has told me every thing seems to be fine just refer tot his topic and i should be good to go thanks alot for every thing guys if all else fails I hope not ill be going back to teh first version of lxle cross ya fingers and hope for the best I feel like adam sandle you all gona laugh at me now.
Last edited by kidx on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:37 am

lol just the first thing googling 'WBGS' threw up.
your websites fuxkd by the way, i presume it's yours, http://white-black-gaming.com/ ?
happily i can make a site for you... if you'd like.

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:40 am

wuxmedia wrote:lol just the first thing googling 'WBGS' threw up.
your websites fuxkd by the way, i presume it's yours, http://white-black-gaming.com/ ?
happily i can make a site for you... if you'd like.
Wow this place is better than any place i have been I hope your no joking around and and I hope you guys are serious.A site what kinda site cause we are gamers and we use the Bluethrust script i am curious to see your work.Also my site is not fuxxed i just need time to fix up databases and uplaod sctipt i just changed host so yeah.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:04 am

oh i hate changing hosts - ftp the site, import the DBs, nope.
i'm sitting on a free host right now.
here, http://wuxmedia.com i haven't done all that much, but I am proud of my wifes site - getting into concrete5 CMS
i'm guessing you like fire.. 8)

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:10 am

I love fire when i play RPG'S i need me some fire lol also what cms is that can you link me and if so we need a distro site.I pay for every thing on my own and do every thing on my own as many do here my first edition will be arsonist edition i am a big firestarter hehe also can coal be upgraded and updated at all just wondering casue i dont wanna break any thing?

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:25 am

i'm not too hot on the making a distro bit, but once it works - it should continue to work, it will be a snapshot in time. ie 6 months from now, you can still run the system, but it will be outdated.

you might be advised to keep a running -clean- regularly updated version on your hdd to push a revised edition every so often.

i would point you to concrete5, but its a bit tricky to make themes, the classics are drupal and WP, i didn't get on with them for some reason.

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 am

Well this is just to game and be very fast on your pc as for being updated hmm I am more on gaming than have the latest and greatest out there so far this is easy to use and easy to make lets see how well i do lol i plan on keeping this installed for ever if it all works out so yea steam had Chinese letters on the last release but that was outdated I hope its better here we will see lol.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am

you might consider building up on arch, they are much closer to how the application developers designed it. It's of course a bit harder to build a distro there, but you could start off with something like Archbang!!1
I'm pretty sure Steam runs mighty fine on ArchBang!!!1
..gnutella..

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:52 am

I am just frustrated now because i love how simple BBQ is and the downfall is steam not working right it is all Chinese I have not tested anything else and i don't have any one to ask my question to with out being flamed out for grammar unlike here its down to earth and cool easy to build make and redistribute I hope i don't have to change bases cause every time i find a easy base i get told to use something different lol.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:04 pm

I'm going to assume that you're actually new to this and not a troll. (BTW: If troll 10/10, marvelous)

When I first started powerlifting, I was only around #165, but my goal was to Deadlift #600. I found it very frustrating that after my first few weeks, I could only get #285. I asked a much wiser lifter than myself how to get to #600. He said, "Well, since you just got #285...I'd make the next step #290." It may sound really simple, but this is how progress works. You don't go from total noob to releasing your own distro overnight. There are going to be many little setbacks and things that you have to learn. Still, if it's your dream to make a perfect distribution for gaming, then by all means, don't let anything stop you. You can release it on whatever base fits your needs, and for the most part I've found that Arch is well adapted to staying ultra-modern. You'd learn a great deal by following the Arch wiki and performing a "from scratch" install, but I can assure you that their forum won't receive your particular use of the English language kindly....so keep that in mind. If the goal is to release it using a Debian Sid base (what most BBQ distros are), then you'll first need to figure out how to get each thing that you want running to run. There will probably be great sections of searching out bugs and such, but over time, you'll make baby steps towards your goal.

It will be frustrating. You're taking on something that most users aren't even interested in learning. Still, it is doable, and you'll learn a lot from making it happen.

Start small kidx. Pick a package and make it work on your system. If you have problems, hit up Google with the EXACT reason that it says it didn't work (specific in error codes are important), read and learn. Godspeed.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:09 pm

^ This and that!

Little homework:
Download a random BBQ Base, change the wallpaper to something you like, and then remaster it (create a bootable ISO)
If you have done that, change the branding of the installer and the menu entries.
If you have done that, remove what you like (usually not needed!) and add your desired packages.
If this worked out well, add the packages that need compiling.
And after that, you can call it Alpha 1
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:00 pm

^ excellent advice.

there is a good reason for getting flamed for terrible spelling and incredibly long sentences; it fucking HARD to read.
but good luck

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:07 pm

i have a question is the interface.glade. is that where i customize the installer fonts? thanks. and also for some reason i cant access the forums at my house cause, right now im accessing the forums at a buddies house

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:55 pm

<quote> man your teh best in teh wrold for helping em and you guys rock here I have epelepsy and can on do so much at a time i wanna learn you dont know how bad i wanna learn you dont know how bad I am thriving to do this.Also I run WBGS this will be be for every one so every one can be free and get along and become one man this is why I love my contry I hope to never see any one put in a camp like ever in my life again major respect but now i must take my dialantin just woke up and epelesy is buging me thanks alot.DebianJoe your awsome thanks for supporting me I dediacte this to all the heros that died trying to save all those people. </quote>

As a dislexik persun i fund this sow ard to wread. pleese use speelchicker in footure :)
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:11 pm

ok.... weird. this still doesn't fix the problem, i still can not get on the site at my house. Really what is the solution to accessing the site, on my Pc. It says page unavailable. Also how do i edit the live installer text, in the interface.glade. There is nothing about Linux BBQ in there, its all about Linux mint.Also I have some one editing textures and helping out so yea, Also got my site up just need to fix theme all i need to do on os is change icons menu seems easy as for steam that is messed up might need to know how to get it running. As for Arch they killed the AMD/ATI support from what i heard so thats a no go LinuxBBQ will do for now just little questions here and there and that's it.