Looking to make a distro but i am a noob and want to learn?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Looking to make a distro but i am a noob and want to lea

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:50 am

Dear kidx,

you didn't do your homework. I can tell you this without even checking it, because *IF* you would have done homework #1, you would have come to the point where the snapshot tool ask you about how you want to call your distro, and also sets up the branding inside of the installer.

Setzen, 6.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:01 am

Damn, what the hell is going on here? I keep coming back but nothing really happens.

6, Setzen, for sure.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:54 am

oh gawd how is you gonna learn if you ain't doing your homework? we here wonder how long it will take for a certain somebody to stop replying...
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:47 am

rhowaldt wrote:certain somebody
This is for now my last reply, correct :)
..gnutella..

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:00 pm

Well i can't edit the installer i am claimed to be a troll yet all i am is looking for help all snapshotbbq does, is name and build lol i can't really delete the installer even change LinuxBBQ Installer at all logos are nothing but where is the code to change the live installer? you guys say install distro alter snapshot its hard to alter this when some apps don't work like update-manage and there is no way to delete them what?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Good man. I make it super verbose now, just for you with a lot of love.

Open a terminal
Enter "sudo bbqsnapshot"
Hit Enter and wait around 10 minutes
It will show <Finished>, hit Enter again
Open a second terminal (usually bbqsnapshot does this for you, but nevermind, we make it super verbose)
Finish these steps one after the other

Code: Select all

sudo leafpad /home/work/myfs/etc/issue
sudo leafpad /home/work/myfs/etc/lsb-release 
sudo leafpad /home/work/myfs/etc/os-release
sudo leafpad /home/work/myfs/etc/live-installer/install.conf 
sudo leafpad /home/work/myfs/etc/network/interfaces
sudo ncdu /home/work/myfs/
After this, you can close the secondly opened terminal and go back to bbqsnapshot. It will create your ISO. It will be in /home/snapshot/

The first commands change the branding. The last one allows you do delete unwanted files.

You do not want to hack into the installer. Please, do not. Please. Don't. I tell you why: because I am not interested in fixing something that you break inside of glade or python. Please, don't play around with it. Put your preferred icon into /usr/share/icons/live-installer.png but please do not hack into the installer. Please, don't hack the installer. It will break. Do not change the glade and python files. Use the Steps above, but do not edit the glade files. If you fuck it up, you will break the installer and the installer will break the hard drives, the partitions or the GRUB of the user. Priorities!

What is your aim? Just to have the name printed on the screen? Fuck, no! You want a working installation. You want it to work for every motherfucker who uses it. So make sure the base system works, is updated, the packages are installed, the menus are populated, the themes are set, the boot process works (for literally ALL computers), and then you can fuck around with the damned label.

I'm 2% away of closing this thread. Seriously.
..gnutella..

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:18 pm

You say ask away then get pissed when i want to alter your stuff i have all you said already bbqsnapsot is not the issue its installing a damn distro and having linuxbbq all over it and people thinking its a bbq release?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:19 pm

I told you how to alter it good man! Read the post please.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Code: Select all

sudo leafpad /etc/live-installer/install.conf 

sudo cream /etc/live-installer/install.conf 

sudo mousepad /etc/live-installer/install.conf 

sudo mcedit /etc/live-installer/install.conf 

sudo medit /etc/live-installer/install.conf 

sudo geany /etc/live-installer/install.conf 

sudo ne /etc/live-installer/install.conf 

sudo emacs /etc/live-installer/install.conf 

sudo vi  /etc/live-installer/install.conf 

sudo nano /etc/live-installer/install.conf 
copy one of the lines into your editor of choice. This is if you are NOT yet running bbqsnapshot.
..gnutella..

kidx
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by kidx » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Any how did a reveiw/look at what i am doing and give mad respect ill find out my self how to alter lxde menu and ill have to fix the installer we don't wan't people thinking this is a full legit bbq release but we wan't people to know it came from bbq.
[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27FGYDe45ME[/BBvideo]

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Looking to make a distro but i am a noob - congrats!

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:25 pm

i don't understand what you say because you write sentences without punctuation not even a spellchecker no problem it is not a default in every distro but the sentences are like never-ending you know it is just i am not a native english speaker but i try my best to read and write your language hope it is okay if i close this now it makes not much sense and anyway you will give us a bad review and we will have sleepless nights full of tears and all my heros are sad too and i have to find a new job to earn my bread and water maybe my family will starve just because you give us a bad review i will be sad and have problems about life
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:29 pm

And next time, dear kidx, be so kind and first introduce yourself before you pester people with your requests. After all, YOU want something from us (and the other distros, a quick google with your name shows that the BBQ is not the first and surely not the last place you bother with your problems that are barely based on LAZINESS!)
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Anybody else something to say here? Else I lock this topic, it doesn't bring anything just fucks my good mood.
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:37 pm

I've laughed.

That's worth something, right?

Edit: kidx, you have upset the happiness of our happy family where we tend to screw around and write crazy programs and release things that are not always designed for public consumption. What you've done is bring a dream of yours to us and request us to take time out of what we're all working on to help you. The downside is that you've failed to do the footwork required on your own. I've still got multiple issues that could use some attention (still haven't gotten around to looking into lisp-basedWM's in Gangbang), yet the expectation from you seems to be that we'll drop everything and walk you through all things step-by-baby-step. It's not going to happen, not here...not anywhere.
Last edited by DebianJoe on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:46 pm

I'll make this thread sticky. Rhowaldt, can you link it to "How not to ask questions on a forum" please? ;)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:22 pm

^ with mucho love, i will... and have: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... a_question

i have added anything i had left to say in that Wiki piece, so will refrain from wasting any more words here.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

MrPink
applies for custom title

Unread post by MrPink » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:40 pm

DebianJoe wrote:I'm going to assume that you're actually new to this and not a troll. (BTW: If troll 10/10, marvelous)
10/10 either way. I know it's not funny, but I can't stop laughing.:)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey, did you watch his video, he actually speaks English. :) And he gave us a 10/10. Though I have no idea what his real plans are, seems too obscure.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Was/is there a video? FWIW, 10/10. Is this good or bad?

Inferno ftw!!

Maybe I'll spin it this weekend for a change. But will call it different. Guess ;)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:00 pm

^ Yep there is a video on the first page of this thread. He praised it the best distro of the universe, really. :D

http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.p ... t=25#p6550

Edit: Additionally he thanked you personally for some of the help.