lame iceweasel syncing prob/question

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

lame iceweasel syncing prob/question

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:13 am

hi, chromium is ok, the syncing works as i'd expect, login - your browser becomes the same as the 'other' computers.
Iceweasel/FF syncing does my head in, i've read the FF wiki.

I want it to save everything bookmarks, history login/pass.
as it is annoying to switch spins and can't find stuff.

i know it's a lame question, but;
what other syncing do you guys use?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

dkeg
Configurator

Re: lame iceweasel syncing prob/question

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:27 pm

yes a pain, and totally agree, that is definitely someting that chrome does right. I have not even tried, or bothered setting up FF sync. I use ths addon for bookmarking sites

pocket

Work hard; Complain less

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:32 pm

It's not a lame question.

I use a very manual method. I have a few html files that are linked to each other, and have links to the resources that I use regularly inside this "offline website". I keep these backed up in a non-shared personal repo and to a USB, so I can pull them into new installs. On a new install, or a new spin, I'll install git and mass-pull all of my personal settings. When I use a new browser, I'll set the opening one as the default homepage.

As far as logins, passwords...I just remember them using a system for naming based on what site it is that uses the info. Nothing fancy about that, really.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:49 pm

ok so it seems not to be a lame question, i'm just lazy.
thanks guys.
i have a terrible system for login/pass 8) i don't even visit that many sites...
OK i think i might go chrome..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:03 pm

hope you have plenty of free resources :D

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:16 pm

I do use Chromium exactly for this reason and around 5 other reasons :)
No stupid question, you're just LAZY :D
..gnutella..

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:50 pm

I use xmarks for my FF/IW syncing:

https://www.xmarks.com/

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:11 pm

@dcakes - not like i do anything else on the thing 8) even if i am 'working' - its for a browser in the end.

bones, ahh that looks like it. thought it only did bookmarks, but it's the full monty.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:10 pm

touché wux, touché

Work hard; Complain less

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:24 pm

wuxmedia wrote:bones, ahh that looks like it. thought it only did bookmarks, but it's the full monty.
Yeah, I've been using it for years, I find it indispensible. I also tried the FF/IW syncing, and gave up in frustration. I've tried to like Chrome/Chromium, and I just don't.

MrPink
applies for custom title

Unread post by MrPink » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 am

I mainly use Iceape. I regularly export my bookmarks as a html file that I keep in my Dropbox folder. This file can be read by most browsers. In the past I used delicio.us which is also nice.

..also, chromium is bloat :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:54 am

yeah, it (chromagnium) is going a bit slow, slightly better screen space.
I will now try xmarks with IW, my prerequisite was history saving too, bookmarks i rarely use, well i use them but i just type into the omnibox. thank goodness FF has copied useful things from chrome, like 'reopen last tab' and 'omnibox' 8)

blarg
Virgin

Unread post by blarg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm syncing my browser via a folder accessible via WebDAV and ftp. This way, I can access my elinks-bookmarks on my smartphone and my pc.
This should work with firefox as well, as long as you don't need sync between different operating systems (Windows-Android-Linux)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:51 pm

^my problem exactly 8)
xmarks is functional.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:02 pm

bones wrote:I use xmarks for my FF/IW syncing:

https://www.xmarks.com/
Just a note of a change here: I have removed xmarks for syncing, as it has been buggy and unreliable lately. I'm now using the Sync feature in Firefox. The setup is easy, now that I have actually done it. It's working very well so far.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Just some pointless babbling ...

Didn't know there was a real issue with FF/IW's syncing feature. Don't really use it outide of occasionally using the ( used to be) 25mbs of storage space Mozilla offer users to backup bookmarks + Passwords and try to occasionally export a backup of bookmarks, so I don't lose them if that OS crashes n burns.

Just from dorking with it, controls seem to allow for what you want. In FF/etc go to Edit>Prferences, then the sync tab, options there to choose what a person wants sync'ed, don't know if that fits everyone's needs though. Then seems like all a person would have to do would be go to Tools in the FF menu and select Sync now ... to update it ? Mentioned really don't rely on or dork with the Sync feature enough to know. Plus could be reading wrong.

Have seen the Chrome-ium has more screen space mentioned several times and personally don't get that. Always been my experience FF ( mozilla based browsers) have built in features to make customizing the layout pretty easy. ie: Like putting the mouse pointer on one of the FF-etc toolbars, right click and select customize from the list. Drag n drop the icons you want, where you want them, drag the ones you don't out ... to get rid of em.

Often finish by selecting View from the FF toolbar and getting rid of the unwanted toolbars that would otherwise waste space. From what I've seen ends up being about the same screen space as the others. Give or take a few pixels anyway, shrugs. If was seriously gung-ho about maximizing screen space, would just hit F11, default full-screen on all the major browsers. And using keyboard shortcuts/etc.

Hey ... what do ya want from me ! Told ya it was friggin pointless babble at the start of this post ! :P
Ha ! afterthought babble ... had to install chromium just to check. Way I prefer laying out FF has just a hair ( as in all of an almost unnoticeable # of pixs) advantage over chromium. 1 - 2 pixels, is still more space so ... In ye face Chromium ! Lol :P

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:29 pm

Roaster with only 1 tab open has more screen space than Chromium/IW-FF.
/ thread
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:26 am

^ Dammit Joe ... stop feeding da fire. Tryin to make a point here ! Lmao ... nah actually messing round. :D
Babble update, also sadly I must retract my dorkish "In yer face Chromium" in the never-ending effort to be too damn fair. Figured if customizing layout in FF-etc is made easy, then wouldn't Chrome-ium have something similar ?

Fired up Chromium again. Right clicked on toolbar to see what customization options I'd give. Had one obvious one "Use system titlebar and borders" checked default, unchecked it and end result was of course no more titlebar ... Thusly did give Chromium more screen space, as I don't off the top know of any way to do that with FF, shrugs.

Ahhhh ... really have nothing against any of em, are all good browsers. Well except for IE and if a person is voluntarily using IE for their web browser, then that's more than enough punishment. :)

Vllbbq!