Saltimbocca 'verbose' boot parameter bug-thingy

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
rhowaldt
Dog

Saltimbocca 'verbose' boot parameter bug-thingy

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:09 pm

when booting Saltimbocca (686) using a boot parameter of 'verbose' (either by editing the first option or using failsafe, which has it enabled by default), the bootprocess seems to hang with the following message:

Code: Select all

starting notify audit system and update utmp about system runlevel changes
when you press [ENTER] after that, it just gives you the login prompt.

if you boot the first option without 'verbose', it just goes straight to the login prompt.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Saltimbocca 'verbose' boot parameter bug-thingy

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:51 am

Thanks for your post. That's how verbose works in systemd. You can get a detailed output of started, inactive or dead services through the command 'systemctl --all'. systemd is not yet the creme de la creme of all service managements (some services are still started by SysV), and what works with the snapshot of November 2nd would maybe (!) not work on November 5th ;)
If you know what I mean :D
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:49 am

Dang, cannot reproduce on i686, kernel 3.6-6

Which means I'll include both verbose and no-verbose. Or simply purge systemd. This stepchild starts to cause more problems than joy.

Edit: I just wonder why your ISO has 'verbose' only enabled in 'failsafe' - it is enabled in every option:

Code: Select all

label live
	menu label Kielbasa 
    kernel /live/vmlinuz verbose
    append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live ip=frommedia union=aufs video=uvesafb:mode_option=1024x768-16@60 vga=current init=/bin/systemd

label live
	menu label Kielbasa (Intel i915)
    append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live ip=frommedia union=aufs vga=current nomodeset i915.modeset=0 init=/bin/systemd

label live
	menu label Kielbasa (ask vga)
    append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live ip=frommedia union=aufs vga=ask video=uvesafb:mode_option=1024x176-32@60 init=/bin/systemd

label nomodeset
	menu label Kielbasa (nomode, ask vga)
    append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live ip=frommedia union=aufs nomodeset vga=current init=/bin/systemd

label toram
	menu label Kielbasa (toRAM, ask vga)
    append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live ip=frommedia union=aufs toram vga=ask init=/bin/systemd

label noprobe
	menu label Kielbasa (failsafe)
    kernel /live/vmlinuz verbose noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nosmp vga=current
    append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live ip=frommedia union=aufs init=/bin/systemd

label nomodeset-v
	menu label Kielbasa (SysV: ignore!)
    append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live ip=frommedia union=aufs nomodeset vga=current video=uvesafb:mode_option=1024x768-16@60
Ignore the "Kielbasa" label, the base ISO is identical to Salti.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:14 am

thanks for the fast replies.
i've read a lot of stuff about systemd yesterday as i tried to determine whether i'd use Salti as a 'main' release for my old-new PCs, and i do like it. so i wouldn't mind having it at least as an option. but i can understand this can be annoying to deal with.

maybe the reason i don't have verbose in the 'regular' (first) option might be because my download of Salti is still an old one (?). not sure about this.

let me add that i live-booted on another one of these PCs before, and didn't have this issue. so it might be hardware-dependent in some way (even though all these work-PCs look the same, i know there are small differences in hardware due to the time they were acquired by the company).

if i am the only one being able to have this issue, please let me know if you need more informatie from me on this.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 am

Ah now it makes sense. Yes I have updated the 686 a few days ago to fix some minimal bugs and add a bunch of tools and the sources.list, and I have deleted the old images today.

It's quite strange, I have tested the 686 on quite a lot of different hardware until now and the verbose setting has not caused problems, it actually has made the ISOs boot on virtually everything I tried it (opposed to quiet which did not work on one occasion with a boot in a virtualized environment).
If you have time (and I know you have a bunch of hardware standing around at home) can you just try booting with the first entry (adding the 'verbose') and check if other computers misbehave? I'd like to fix this, or at least understand what is going on.

Or just post the sysinfo of the misbehaving computer? I have the feeling that it has to do with the kernel. Or no idea :D

But now that I think about it, I remember one occasion where the 'login:' was covered by a message from the gfx adapter - that was with Salti 486, using the 3.2 stable/testing kernel. The boot was too quick so the gfx adapter message came after the login prompt covering the login prompt. If one entered your username and hit Enter, it asked for the password. But as I said, this was on the netbook, with 486 and an S3 gfx card.

Big questionmark :)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:05 pm

ok i'll do some more experiments. i got 5 machines left, plus my laptop, so i can test them all without much effort (well, except for having to switch some cables around of course :)

will report back once i did more testing! this is a strange one. big questionmark for me too, fwiw :D

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Today there was an update in the sysvinit package section, some mount/unmount scripts, and I believe it came via siduction, together with a new kernel (i686, but still 3.6-6) so it seems this problem is being worked on.
You don't need to hurry, Bro. The next update for these ISOs is planned for mid-January, until then I will only push Escargot up and that's anyway another kernel. In doubt, simply remove the init=/bin/systemd and/or the verbose/quiet/whatever brings up the error message. I'm quite positive the system itself runs smooth.
..gnutella..