intel FB thingy [solved] and bass grumbles

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

intel FB thingy [solved] and bass grumbles

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:49 pm

so bass is great and i want to at least try (going against master yoda's teaching) to get into fb stuff.
bass boots great on USb, once installed it boots to a black screen, if i add nomodeset to the kernel line it works, but very low res.

there seems to be nothing in the repos, should i attempt to compile intelfb2?
had similar issue with boner, and arch, i installed the xserver intel package and it worked fine. Not so now

going to try the modeset here;
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... -enable-it

and going to root via su - the autocompletion doesn't work, i agree its an addon, i installed zsh - ahh but i didn't configure roots .zsh thing
ok well, once more into the breach dear friends...
Last edited by wuxmedia on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: intel FB thingy and bass grumbles

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Ok editing the kernel line to modeset=1 works fine.
zsh now auto-completes in root, not very pretty, but thats my fault.

*please* keep the standard defaults to tmux
c^a was a guess (it is better) but the split screens were a guess to get right. vertical was default but horizontal was mapped to |
i'm sure anyone hardcore enough to use tmux will know the defaults then change to their own preference.
thanks

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: intel FB thingy [solved] and bass grumbles

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:25 pm

Hardcore?

Code: Select all

cat .tmux.conf 
In the past I used the standard - I got whipped for that ("RSI by default tmux bindings" I can even tell you it was on the noob forums). Then I used slob's tmux.conf - worked nicely until we got emacs and I didn't want to overlay keybindings. So I took DebJoe's tmux configuration.

Sorry wux, but I guess you know what I mean...

IIRC slob uses % and " while Joe uses % and |

Bit sad that your frustration gets back to me in this way.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:32 pm

One more thing:

you want defaults?

rm ~/.tmux.conf
Hardcore or not?
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:35 pm

not frustration - just confusion and inability to find out the bindings for myself.
iirc there was some discussion and i thought the defaults were left as such.
no biggie - makes me get my hands dirty 8)

OK good hardcore solution, thanks 8)

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:41 pm

Was bass built using the same config that I gave bacon for the emacs releases? If so, then that bind setup would make sense. The C^a %, C^a | is a gnuscreen default, and works well as it avoids you being left with a tmux that wont' respond at all to trying to control the screen. (C^b moves you backwards.)

For anything else, though, I can see your point.

I had provided the above info on cat....but it would appear that Bacon beat me to it.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:45 pm

i think so, 'sauce' came up on the tty.
As usual it's my own lazyness 8)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Yes, it was your .conf DebJoe, and I do not see a point to mention this as a kind of 'hardcore' feature

function general-rant(){
It's pretty easy to revert to defaults, it is easy to check the config file, it is easy to exit tmux and also easy to remove it, but it is fucking much harder to please everybody, and it takes away my motivation and fun in this project when there's grumbling because a conky doesn't look like one expects or the fucking tmux is configured differently. If this (tmux config shit) is really a problem and worth to open a support thread, I will rethink my approach to the whole damned project.
}

Okay, back to work.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:56 pm

sorry, the support topic was primarily for the intel fb thing - the tmux config was a minor grumble, which you have addressed perfectly, as always.
I only mentioned hardcore as i am obviously lacking and learning when i'm not lazy as fuck.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:00 am

"Fais ce que tu veux" regarding the whole thing as far as I'm concerned. By using the binds and mouse-clickable frame borders with tmux, you made Sauce and Rice much more approachable with default settings that would actually work without being forced into changing them.

If it's my comments regarding conky that have led to any frustration, know that I'm joking about it. If I don't want it, I'll get rid of it myself. This includes ALL packages. I'd like to believe that it's impossible to build a distro that I can't eventually make do exactly what I want, regardless of what the defaults look like.
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:07 am

The packages in Debian are also not 'default' as they come from the developers. I was quite happy that DebJoe posted his tmux.conf a few days ago, because I even asked him if there are problems when keys are already occupied either by emacs or by tmux. Everything has a reason. And everything will have an effect, too. Compared to older BBQ releases, there has been a bunch of shit dropped: libgtk3 and its dependencies, zenity, geany, xfce4-screenshooter, gnome-mplayer, epdfview (removed from the repos, replaced with zathura), conky, x-www-browser (sans links2) and others, partly due to dependency "issues", partly due to feedback. I hesitate in removing tmux because it is simply the best pure-CLI app in Linuxland, but with default bindings not the best solution.

@wux: Please understand that I have to make decisions that will sometimes not fit everybody's wishes, but they have reasons.
As for zsh not being in root - this is absolutely wanted. To change this, remember to edit/check the /etc/passwd file and make sure the path is right before logging out. It's safer to keep bash for root (other distros use dash there)

Edit: Joe -- no, the conky gets on my nerves for months already, generally as a package, and with all the unnecessary support questions related to it later. :)
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:15 am

indeed - clickable borders kicks the shit out of the default.

and bacon you know my posts are a load of shit anyway.
I fully understand your decisions, and stand with you - it's only my failings being highlighted here, i'm happy to admit.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Greatly inspired by this post, and the fact that I am all for people learning about configurations and their locations...I've decided to write a short little C program to help out.

I've named it "wtf" which is obviously short for "wuxmedia's talking filefinder". After building it, you should simply be able to type "wtf" into the terminal, and it will prompt you for basic information about what program you're having difficulty with. By answering these prompts, you'll be presented with it first clearing the terminal and then telling you where in the directory structure the file is located. After that, it will attempt to cat the file for you if there is a file there. Otherwise, it will let you know that it's not currently at said location.

I could make it easy by it just automatically loading it up into whatever editor you have by default, but I don't wish to add any extra bloat and prevent the user from actually seeing it enter in the commands for them.

When I get done, I'll toss it up on github.
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:50 pm

ouch
DebianJoe wrote:Otherwise, it will let you know that it's not currently at said location.
or a big assed fig/toilet ascci text

mmmmm                  m           ""#    ""#             mmm                  m                 
   #    m mm    mmm   mm#mm   mmm     #      #           m"   "  mmm   m mm   mm#mm   mmm    mmm  
   #    #"  #  #   "    #    "   #    #      #           #   mm #"  #  #"  #    #    #" "#  #" "# 
   #    #   #   """m    #    m"""#    #      #           #    # #""""  #   #    #    #   #  #   # 
 mm#mm  #   #  "mmm"    "mm  "mm"#    "mm    "mm          "mmm" "#mm"  #   #    "mm  "#m#"  "#m#"                                                        

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Wasn't meant to be an insult...I'm serious. I actually plan to set it to work with a TON of wm's, where is points out user-level config, and globals. With as many different systems, wms, text editors, and whatever else that I run, I often forget the locations for each and every config file there is. The program WILL be bloat, because everything is already there, but I'm not even going to pretend that I remember EVERY single hotkey that I use.

Well, the "Wuxmedia's Talking Filefinder"...that was a joke. The rest of it I'm totally serious about. I'm trying to cut some web-searching out of MY operations, and I don't give a damn if anyone else ever uses it. Think of it as the follow-up to the zsh "ls =<program>" concept.
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:56 pm

8) i kinda figured it was real, you don't play when it comes to programming.
thats why i thought a meme would be funny as an error. 8D

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:10 pm

https://github.com/DebianJoe/wtf

++Under heavy construction++
Thanks BASIC