Saltimbocca 486 Live systemd issues

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pidsley
Hermit

Saltimbocca 486 Live systemd issues

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:49 pm

I downloaded the 486 iso, checked the md5sum, and used dd to copy it to a USB stick. It boots, but if I select any of the systemd options, it hangs at the step

Code: Select all

Starting notify audit system and update UMTP ...
(This is past KMS, so it's not a graphics issue) It does this on two different machines. If I select the last option (boot with sysv) it gets all the way to the login and I can start Openbox.

I'm going to try the 686 iso next.

(edit) the 686 iso boots perfectly.

(edit2) I burned a CD and booted the 686 version on my Pentium M laptop. It boots and runs fine there too. As long as the 686 version has a non-PAE kernel, it will work on Pentium M laptops. If you keep the non-PAE kernel in the 686 version, I vote for dropping the 486. One less release to worry about.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Saltimbocca 486 Live systemd issues

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Thank you, Pidsley. This must be the stock 3.2.0-2-486 kernel (opposed to the 'Osyter'esque Deb-experimental 3.5 kernel) that has given many people many headaches ;)
But yes, it is 99% sure I drop 486, as you said, it doesn't make much sense - especially considering the specialized 'low-resource distros' that do an excellent job catering the really old hardware.

Thanks again, let's say our last good-byes to 486.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:58 am

pidsley, check this: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=381#p381

try hitting 'ENTER' after you get that message and see if you can still login. i haven't figured out the reason for the message yet, Google doesn't seem to be very clear about it...
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Found the same message now, too - when I don't log into an xsession it is there embedded in some kernel/gfx driver output salad.
I start to doubt that this is a 'serious' error message - (remember the module unix not loaded - something like this) because the system runs flawlessly, no CPU spikes (opt out the normal FF flash issues) no RAM overload, nothing.

Must be a systemd info message about a system that is not (yet) implemented, or idk.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:48 pm

^ i agree, i don't think there is anything serious going on here either. especially since, as i said in the other thread, it doesn't stop me from booting. it just, for some reasons, stops the login prompt from displaying, which gets fixed after a press of 'enter'.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:35 pm

rhowaldt wrote:pidsley, check this: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=381#p381

try hitting 'ENTER' after you get that message and see if you can still login. i haven't figured out the reason for the message yet, Google doesn't seem to be very clear about it...
Yes, I can login if I press ENTER after the message appears. Sorry I didn't see your earlier topic.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:39 pm

no problem man. it is good we have the same issue, because that means there is only 1 issue instead of 2 :)
at any rate, not a big issue either, mainly a bit confusing. and afaik only on verbose booting, not quiet. so a simple workaround is present at least.