Trollinger64 install

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Trollinger64 install

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Not a stupid question. The problem is that you would probably run into the gtk3-bug (and not even be able to log in to LXDE anymore, because LightDm will end up in an endless loop), but of course you can try that route. So, install Trolli, boot into the new system, follow the link Pidsley has posted, then stop lightdm (sudo service lightdm stop) and remove the lightdm packages (purge lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter) and then (!) reboot.

If you need a more verbose instruction, please tell ;)

Upgrade warning re lightdm: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=387 (by all means follow this instructions if you want to stay with LightDM)
Upgrade warning re gtk3: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=334
..gnutella..

NGIB
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by NGIB » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Back to the kernel question. If the newer kernels support less hardware - why use them at all? Not being a wise ass, I just want to understand why the developers would take a step back with newer releases as it seems counter-productive. Anything that affects the ability to seamlessly use wireless seems stupid to me. I haven't used my wired connection in a very long time and I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Let me ask back: if nobody uses a newer package version and it's not widely tested, and no bug reports are sent back, how can the developers know that something is broken?

For what it's worth with the new 3.10-5: there are bugs in the staging drivers and probably they can be fixed by blacklisting confronting modules. I'm neither kernel developer nor do I know what cards are (definitely) affected, I'm just the messenger...

Edit: here's one reference http://blog.lesslinux.org/new-developme ... new-tools/

To clarify, the staging tree is the one that is independently worked on, patched and merged into the main tree (via the linux-next tree)
As I said before, take the 3.6-9, for example, or as the reference shows, 3.9-11.
..gnutella..

NGIB
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by NGIB » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Sadly, no tinkering for me this evening as the spouse has me on other taskings...

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:58 pm

i'm gonna try and add a little more clarification here, about some random points. i'll probably end up paraphrasing Bacon's words, but hey, maybe it will give you insight, because words are magic things.

the reason for the many CLI apps in the BBQ is simply to provide a solid software-base for the user to build on. see also: The BBQ Philosophy, General, Point 1. Bacon explained nicely how he decides what app to go for, and sometimes GUI is added as well, for convenience's sake, but the fact of the matter is that the CLI-stuff is what gets you down to basics, thus it will always have a certain amount of permanent focus. it would be silly to neglect your most powerful and efficient tools.

one thing to maybe make clear here is that we don't really care about getting more users. consider it a BBQ. what do you do? you eat meat, talk to people, have fun. maybe make some new friends in the process (which in fact, my private statistics have shown, is what happens very dogdamned often). the reason we get along so well is simply because we all think alike (mostly, not all, because that would be fucking boring), in some way, shape or form. we all adhere, as faithfully as possible, to the BBQ Philosophy, and say our morning prayers and whatnot. if you don't take yourself too seriously, you will love it here. when you do, you'll find offense hiding around every corner. we do not enjoy rules or restrictions. we do not believe the general opinion to be right about a thing unless we have tested, built or broken it ourselves. we don't enjoy censorship, we do not tolerate bullshit (from the moment it stops being funny).

after scantily re-reading the above: in case you might think so from some emotional tone you have unwittingly harvested from my words, i am not at all pissed, disgruntled, offended or mad about any opinion you (Irishman) gave. there is no such negative bullshit drama emotion inside me. i am happy to see a new face at our BBQ, and i will continue to convey my other emotions through the convenience of an emoticon-array, thusly. :) ;) :D XD :)))))) (that last one was impro).

P.S. apparently, i was in the mood for writing. sorry 'bout that. bye now :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

NGIB
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by NGIB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:04 am

You won't offend me so I value all opinions. I spent years working at the command prompt so it's not foreign to me. This being said, I enjoy simplicity at this point in my life and I have a lot of computers to keep running between ine, the wife, and the kids. I am running Trollinger right now and it's working perfectly but I haven't done any updating yet. It recognized all the hardware perfectly and is running smooth...

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:16 am

^ that's great NGIB, maybe you found your perfect meat already :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:32 pm

In case it got lost: this is dedicated to the wife of the OP http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=572
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

There is also ENOUGH, released in early June, a very cool mix of lxde/openbox, mentioning it in case you want to taste some more:)

NGIB
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by NGIB » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:17 pm

I looked at Wifey today and it's OK.

Kill me for saying this but I want simple and if I can avoid CLI - I want to. I also like Synaptic. I'm old and really don't want to memorize the name of every package I may need or want. When I compare Coal to Trollinger - it's a step back for me. Trollinger recognized all my hardware and I was running right away. I had to fiddle around with Coal to get wireless working and I really don't have the patience for doing that anymore. Yup, I'm probably not the type of user that BBQ needs or wants. Right now I'm running the PCLinux 64 LXDE as my main system. It's simple and everything works out of the box. My main bitch with them is the RPM repos are usually behind the times and some stuff is not even available.

Perhaps I'm just strange in what I want from an OS...

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:58 pm

NGIB wrote:Perhaps I'm just strange in what I want from an OS...
Yes, it's obvious that you have strange tastes in an OS. You just want to click on things and stuff to work, as opposed to those of us who are normal and wish to use git to pull over 1/2 of our system, manually change sections of code to make it do exactly what we desire, recompile the source, and manually update the packages by pulling new versions when they're released and ediff them to make them fit our changes....

...or perhaps it's me who has strange tastes. :D

Bacon does break out really user-friendly releases, so perhaps someone can recommend something to try that will fit your needs. I like your personality, though, so regardless of what you choose to use...know that you're welcome to stop in and chat.

you might enjoy: pompous It relies on non-command line tools.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

NGIB
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by NGIB » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:47 pm

The wife's at work and I'm bored so I'm installing Trollinger64 on my I5 laptop. I'm going to play with it including an upgrade (yes, thru Synaptic) just to see what happens...

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:16 am

Please read "Why is LinuxBBQ not recommended for me?" on this page: http://linuxbbq.org/about.html

What works for you may be bloat to others, and no one is ever satisfied. For this reason (and others) the general philosophy is "provide the meat, and let the user season" so some post-install configuration is usually required (and desired by most users here).

I'm old too. I still like to learn new things. Age really has nothing to do with this, in my opinion. As others have said in previous threads, we're like the guys down at the garage building custom cars. We like to tinker. If that's what you want, this is where you should be. If you want to drive an Acura off the lot and never look back, we're probably not your people.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:58 am

Dear sir,

got up this morning with a smile and hopes that I'd find some nice reply here, because my hobby is to make others happy. When i sat on my ass one afternoon i decided to remix XFCE based on the points you wrote a few posts above (things I want from the distro).

I decided to call it "wifey" because it's my idea of what your wife would like. I might of course be wrong. You said "it's OK". then you go back complaining about something i have no influence in (the kernel issues) of a completely different spin. The "wifey" uses another kernel,other firmware, and i hoped you would try it on your computer, but of course i don't want to steal your time.

Problems are always as big as we consider and imagine them. We're crying on a very high level.

Edit: Please, use Trollinger (or any other distro, of course) I will refrain from recommending you anything else or spending any more time on this topic ;)

Another edit: we are all doing this because it is our hobby. We don't get any money for this, and sometimes not even a "thank you". In fact, it just costs me time and money, but every hobby costs time and money, so it's okay. But guess what our motivation is to do all this crap here...
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:20 am

well dear leader (once the 32 bit comes out) and I can get wine (picasa, PS/CS2 & foobar2000 *the shame*) and native skype working - You've certainly got me sold! It's beautiful and nicely thought out.
going to rid this (oldish HP) computer of XP. even a damn fresh install is getting bloated.

wrt to synaptic i never really got on with it, with the BBQ simple 'search' alias I can find the pkg i want (or some new one) sure might need to pipe to a pager, occasionally grep to narrow it down. I even found the Mint software center confusing.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"